Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Marilyn Manson

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Probe, May 4, 2010.

1. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

I just wanted to know what you think of this guy...I mean i know hes a freaky lookin' guy but he's supposed to be really intelligent and thoughtful and stuff
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071230081654AAPZSbR

I found this about what hes like in real life (the first answer)

Also...I think his music is alright...specially songs like "Disposable Teens and "Beautiful People"

2. New Face In Hell

New Face In Hell Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2010

I never liked his music, but I do respect him.

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Ewwww, he sucks.

4. drfaustxxx

drfaustxxx Active Member Forum Member

May 1, 2010

Im actually a pretty big fan hes a really smart guy and understands the art of shock. Some of his songs im not that big on but I really like the majority of the stuff on smells like children and portrait of an American family. I love the interview with him in bowling for columbine.

5. jarek_M-F

jarek_M-F Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 28, 2009

yes, but what's point to care about MM here, at anarcho-punk forum??? I think, there are many more intelligent artists who deserve to be mentioned here... not a fucking star of music business... disgusting, sorry...

6. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
  7. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

meh hes doin his thing. i saw him a long time ago when i was into metal. he was with slayer lol. other that i dont care

8. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

I dislike his music a lot and I hate that he uses shock for shock's sake.
    I have heard that he is smart and has gone into other areas of art,but that's not reason enough for me to like him.

9. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    don't like his music at all, nor his 'shock value' but i was impressed after hearing him talk in Bowling for Columbine, and seeing how he was smarter then almost evberyone else interviewed in that film (same with the guy from south park.)

10. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Not interesting enough to care about either way... and i think jarek is right to disdain this post...

11. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

HEY!! YOU!!!, WHAT DO YOU SEE?!
    SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL, SOMETHING FREE?
    HEY!! YOU!!, ARE YOU TRYING TO BE MEAN!?
    IF YOU LIVE WITH APES MAN, ITS HARD TO BE CLEANNNN!!!!!!!!!

Smart man, music sucks.

12. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Gotta say he's real good at what he does. That would be being him... As a musician, maybe not, as an artist, absoultely. I'd put him along with Damien Hurst and Koh Bunny any day. Then again i have a deep fashination for artists who do their thing so completely it consumes them and they become their art, kinda like Da Vinci was back in his days or some minimalists i can't remember the names of who after doing paintings that was just white and white or only black, they were stuck so bad they killed themselves. If anyone knows any names or titles please feel free to do some namedropping.

Wow, did i just compare Marilyn Manson with Da Vinci..?

13. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    i agree with you, i thought the same thing when i saw this topic

14. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

I'm sorry...just thought we could discuss....

15. ghoul

ghoul Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

And punks sporting big blue mohawks aren't? Just saying. (I used to have several of them myself.)

His music urges those that listen to question things. Authority, religion, etc. That message hit the mainstream. You should give credit for that at least even if you don't like the music.

16. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    wtf marylin manson critizing authority ? :lmao: where ?

And punks have mohawk for very different reasons that someone to claim to be the reincarnation of antichrist and who likes to get attention by looking like a staanist.

17. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    off topic: but yeah one of my favorite started as an Anarcho-Communist in the twenties and ended up commiting suicide in the 60's and is one of the most misunderstood in my book, of course his paintings are worth a disgusting amount of money these days, his name was Mark Rothko....

18. ghoul

ghoul Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

I never said he criticizes authority. I said his music urges to the listener to question those things.

Here's an older interview with Bill O'Reilly where he talks about exactly that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6n5Oi4714o
    Personally I can respect the idea of questioning everything at all times. We should question each other, our government, religion and most of all ourselves.

19. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Thanks! This is a name i've tried to remember ever since i wrote that post! Didn't know he was an anarcho-communist, they never talk about such things at arthistory courses, that's even better :D

20. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Marilyn Manson has held some speeches etc. about how the government of the United States and the family units forces violence and prejudices into children through religion and family norms. When i was 14 i remember loving these speeches, and they did inspire me a lot into free thinking.

I would say, Manson is definitely a commercial artist, and musically, i only like some of his stuff. But thinking of how famous he is and how many young people he is able to reach, he speaks rationality and not believing everything you hear. I respect him for that.