Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Movie/Film/Documentary Reviews

Discussion in 'Documentaries & Movies' started by shizyninja, Oct 1, 2012.

1. shizyninja

shizyninja Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 27, 2012

Movie Review: Hobo with a Shotgun

http://blubberisland.files.wordpress.co ... hotgun.jpg

“I’m tired of these muthafuckin’ hobos with these muthafuckin’ shotguns!” My lips will never speak these words. I stumbled upon Hobo with a Shotgun while randomly surfing the net for movies. When it came up, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Did somebody really have the balls to make a movie that combined two of my favorite things, hobos and shotguns? And who else would take on such a daring project but Grindhouse co-director Jason Eisener? What started off as a joke trailer was just too good to pass up.

http://blubberisland.files.wordpress.co ... otgun1.jpg

Hobo with a Shotgun is a vigilante, Western, over-the-top, comic book movie that takes place in a burnt-out city. The movie opens up with a shot of a lonesome hobo (Rutger Hauer) riding the rails. The music and look gives the impression of a 70’s Blaxploitation flick. This feeling is nailed home when the opening credits informs you that this film has been brought to you by Technicolor. The train slows to a stop and the mysterious hobo jumps off at a random city. He quickly discovers that he’s arrived at the asshole of the world. The city is nightmarish depiction of what America would look like if the Republican Party was to win every election for the next 50 years. Rampant poverty plagues this small city that’s been overrun with gangs, drugs, pimps, child molesters, and everything else imaginable. The good citizens are powerless and afraid to do anything.

[​IMG]

The hobo quickly learns that the city is ran by The Drake (Brain Downey), the town hotshot lunatic, and his two psychotic sons, Ivan (Nick Bateman) and Slick (Gregory Smith), who run around in 80’s Tom Cruise get-ups. These are some of the best villains I’ve seen in a long time. You can’t help but hate these two douche bags and, at the same time, acknowledge that they are so bad-ass. If the Clockwork Orange gang would have been American teens, they’d probably be a lot like Ivan and Slick. Straight from the get-go, these three guys let you know how they roll when they use a sewer lid, barbwire noose, and pickup truck to decapitate some poor bastard. I’d seen a lot of slasher films and that was a first for me. Meanwhile, the cops are absolutely corrupt, so whatever you do, don’t call 911.

http://blubberisland.files.wordpress.co ... -smith.jpg

I do admit, the prostitute with the heart of gold (Molly Dunsworth) was forgettable, filling in the token role of the damsel in distress, and the story is a bit on the generic side, coming dangerously close to resembling Taxi Driver. I could guess where the movie was heading, but even with a somewhat predicable storyline, the limits this movie pushed kept me glued. It’s absurd how much violence this movie and one liners this movie has. Thankfully, the director keeps upping the level of violence, thereby making sure you never become desensitized to buckets of gore. The creative ways in which people die kept things interesting. There’s a lot of influence from 80′s and 90′s video games and pop culture. A lot of the music is cheesy synthesizer tunes you’d expect to hear from you Sega Genesis. Very cool.

http://blubberisland.files.wordpress.co ... plague.jpg

A lot of people have dissed on this movie, saying it’s all senseless violence and there’s nothing redeemable about watching it. I say those people are fags. Hobo with a Shotgun does everything most directors wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. It has Hollywood subversion written all over it. If Marvel’s The Punisher was to lose his job and be reduced to begging for spare change, he would most definitely pick up a shotgun, thus becoming a hobo with a shotgun. This is one of the best “bad” movies I’ve seen in a long time. Honestly, this deserves to take the Oscar. Bad humor, mega gore, dystopia, and pure ridiculousness. What isn’t to love? Could of used some zombies, but I think that for everything.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASomc2O6eqY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

2. shizyninja

Aug 27, 2012

Movie Review: Cabin in the Woods

What's up horror homies?

I just finished watching Cabin in the Woods. At first I thought, "man another bullshit horror movie," then some friends told me it was bad ass. Holy shit, it was some cool stuff. Anyways I wrote a review and of course there's a trailer attached. I'm just a movie fan trying to spread the word about free movies I've seen online. Hope you guys dig it as much as I did. Definitely not your typical slasher flick.

3. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Re: Movie Review: Cabin in the Woods

I used to like horror movies but few of them that have come in the last, say, 20 years or so actually deserve to be called that. I'd still be keen on watching CitW sometime. Interesting cover/poster.
    [​IMG]
    I hate that hollywood-style trend of putting comedy into all their movies, incl. horrors. I mean I love good comedy movies but don't put it in every bloody movie. For fuck's sake!!! :lmao:

4. shizyninja

Aug 27, 2012

I feel you on all those points. Crappy horror movies is probably part of some marketing strategy to get wieners to watch them too. I had to practically beg my wife just to watch some of the Resident Evil and Pandorum, which ended up giving her nightmares for a week, ha ha. After the 90's people just stopped getting creative.

I'm ok with Comedy, it's romance that gets on my nerves. Not everything has to be a fucking romance! You'll start a movie and think to yourself "hey, this is actually looking good," and then some chick/dude shows up and the whole thing turns into a fucking romance. Once again I'm thinking there's some marketing probably having something to do with female viewers. But, c'mon man, don't tell me you didn't dig Evil Dead or Shawn of the Dead? fucking hilarious!

5. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012

No you're right, I thought they were hilarious, but those were comedies making fun of horrors.
    I know what you mean. A good example that comes to mind is Bruce Almighty. Parts of it had me in stitches and then the second half of the movie just turned into a disaster with cheese oozing out of every crack.

6. shizyninja

Aug 27, 2012

Film Review for "The Black Power Mixtape"

What up film homies?

My newest review is on the documentary "The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975"[/url] It's a really great documentary about the radical era of the black liberation movement. Some great anti racist/fascist stuff. Check out my review then watch the movie. Happy watching and power to the people!

[​IMG]

7. morethanfights

morethanfights Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 10, 2012

has anyone seen "falling down" with micheal douglas? that is a badass movie

8. shizyninja

Aug 27, 2012

9. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    I've watched it about 4 times. Really gratifying! :D

10. IamMe

IamMe Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2012
     United Kingdom
    two good films i stumbled across latly are into the wild and the battle of seatle (i think it was called that). into the wild is based on a true story about a guy chris ( also known as alex supertramp) who gives up money after graduating uni to start a new life travling america i reallly do recommend the film, theres some heart rencthing moments in the film and it brought a tear to my eyes a couple of times. the battle in seatle is also based on true events. it follows a couple of protesters during the riots in seatle aginst the WTO. i enjoyed the film and is probably werth a watch if your intrested in protests.

11. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Can't wait for Fruitvale Station to open, a slightly dramatized account of the last day of Oscar Grant's life before his beyond tragic murder at the hands of a train cop on the BART system in Oakland California on New Years Eve 2009....

12. Hayduke

Hayduke Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 14, 2012
    Male
     Slovakia