Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The Day My Kid Went Punk

Discussion in 'Documentaries & Movies' started by THEBLACKNOVA, Aug 21, 2013.

1. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    The Day My Kid Went Punk (1987)

[​IMG]

The American Broadcasting Company coined the term after school special in 1972 with a series of made-for-television movies, usually dealing with controversial or socially relevant issues, that were generally broadcast in the late afternoon and meant to be viewed by school age children, particularly teenagers. The specials were generally broadcast four to six times a year during the school year, pre-empting local programming that would usually follow the network schedule in the late afternoon hours.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEptCSLhgfk[/video]

2. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

i have benn looking for this movie :lmao:

3. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    You joke and laugh, but inside you know this is a true story! \m/

4. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

besides the bad acting and the horrible songs and "fashion", i think it got a pretty good message of non conformity :D

5. Sinpunk161

Sinpunk161 Member New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Male
    California, United States  United States
    I remember seeing this on TV and laughing at it .

6. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    This was a breath of fresh air after all the ways that punx were represented in the movies and on television. Anybody remember Class of 1984? Or the episodes of Qunicy and C*H*I*P*S where punx were portrayed as criminals or juvenile delinquents? Or certain politicians running on platforms saying they would outlaw punk? (It happened) or organizations that convinced ignorant parents that if their kids listened to punk their lives would be ruined forever? (Parents of Punkers, founded by Serena Dank. The way they carried on they made the PMRC seem like a beacon of free speech)

Parents actually threw their kids in mental hospitals if they dressed punk or listened to punk music. Did you seriously think a song like Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies was a joke or was meant to be funny? This shit was REALLY happening.

Cops would randomly stop punx in the streets for no reason, beat the shit out o them and arrest them on trumped up, or outright false charges.

People would watch these shows and/or movies, and/or read all the anti punk propaganda, and would physically violently attack punx in the streets.

Other than Repo Man (Which was meant to be a comedy in the first place) This ABC After School Special was one of the first movies to portray punk rockers in a POSITIVE light.

I think Rebellious Twit is accurate in his description concerning the positive message of non conformity. (But I'm not going to directly quote or parse)

7. Charger Bullet

Charger Bullet Experienced Member Experienced member

Feb 9, 2018
    Male
    Texas, United States  United States
    Wasn't there a website or something that listed all the movies and television shows that portrayed Punks? Or was that a book?

Funny thing you ask about the "Institutionalized" song. A friend sent me a link to the Ice-T Body Count cover (but with different lyrics to the verses) not too long ago. I told him Ice-T didn't understand what the song was really about. There's a lot of people out there that don't know it was about parents sending their kids to mental health care facilities to force them back into conformity. It's usually the stupid metal heads that think the song is about a kid flipping out because they are out of Pepsi.