Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Boycotting standardized testing in Texas

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by CHARX, Feb 8, 2016.

1. CHARX

CHARX Member Forum Member

Apr 18, 2015

I'm a sophomore in a Texan high school. Texas has a standardized test known as the S.T.A.A.R. test, which my class and I plan on boycotting this year. Of course, just shouting "ANARCHY!" and ditching school is not likely to convince the Texas Education Agency to change their policies, so I am writing a letter to them, which will be delivered on the day of the boycott. Skipping school on the day of the S.T.A.A.R. test will hopefully bring attention to the bullshitedness of the idea of standardized testing. Here's whjat I have of the letter so far: http://www.mediafire.com/view/36s28mngo ... esting.doc

Please give it a read and help me revise it to it's maximum potential of convincing the Texas State Board of Educatio to reconsider their policies regarding standardized testing. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=17728#sthash.zjrfeNwy.dpuf

2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

It looks pretty good, and I think it's really cool that you're doing this--but you might need to aim your efforts a little higher up the chain. To start with, a lot of that standardized testing stuff is federally mandated, so it might not be up to the board of education to do away with it. Try researching the 'No Child Left Behind Act'. I don't know much about it myself, but there was a lot of outcry when it passed a few years back because people said it would force school districts into standardized testing and do a lot of harm to schools' ability to actually educate kids. Look into what the actual laws and regulations are because the board of education might not be the ones you have to convince.

Also, not to be a cynical old man, but school--especially the K-12 variety--isn't about education or intellectual development. It's about teaching conformity and obedience. The state doesn't wan't an educated public, it wants interchangible workers that all think and act the same way. That's why they have things like standardized testing. The goal isn't to accurately assess intelligence or knowledge, it's to filter out anyone who isn't performing to spec. Honestly, if you're that concerned about education, you should be boycotting public schools entirely and looking for avenues of learning that aren't controlled by the government. You'll spend a lot less time unlearning all the lies and social conditioning that way.

3. CHARX

CHARX Member Forum Member

Apr 18, 2015

Maybe I could send it to a local US Senator...... and also "...school--especially the K-12 variety--isn't about education or intellectual development. It's about teaching conformity and obedience." I know, I'm just trying to make the meat grinder more bearable. Also, as this is Texas, many of my classmates are highly conservative, but a few of them are open to anarchist ideals. I think a little direct action (albeit still within an authoritarian system) might inspire some thoughts of social, communal change.

On "No Child Left Behind"......yeah that's a tough egg. I am under the impression that Texas allows students to opt-out of standardized testing, however my school is not one of them. I'll have to check regulations, thanks for the tip.

Anyone supporting this boycott can sign a petition here <https://www.change.org/p/we-the-people-petition-against-the-s-t-a-a-r-test-and-standardized-testing-in-texas>

Most of my school has signed it, but I need more.

4. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

Yeah, I totally get that. Sometimes you've got to fight just to get some breathing room, or to get others clued in to what's going on. Going off grid and sleeping in bushes isn't really an option for most of us, so we have to balance trying to survive within the system with working to dismantle it.

I'd say definitely send a copy to your senator. Hit as many levels of government with this this as you can. Politicians may not care about education or the public good but they're very concerned about at least appearing to represent their constituents' interests. If you can convince them that enough people care enough about this you might be able to get them to back it for the good press if nothing else.