Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

breaking news: Activists from greenpeace climbs the tallest building of eastern europe

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Rebellious twit, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

follow this livestream to follow the great journey of 6 women from greenpeace climbing up the tallest building in eastern europe to show protest against shell and other oil companies drilling in the artic \m/ :ecouteurs: :thumbsup:

http://iceclimb.savethearctic.org/?da

2. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

:ecouteurs:

3. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

i don't agree with how the organistation is running it is definely not really that democratic, but at least they attempt to do something about the enviroment and they ain't as useless as PETA :D

4. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Greenpeace are hippies. Pacifism is useless compared to direct actions.

5. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

i would actually call this direct action of some sort, climbing a building and raise a banner, to a big fuck you to shell, so i don't really see the point of making that input there ungovernable :/ ...

6. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

If you think that will help, sure, call it direct action but as Aus Rotten puts it 'They ignore peacful protests, but will they ignore a burning police car ?'

7. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    lol this isn't "real" direct action this is just pacifism show-off... At best you could call it civil disobedience. Direct action implies causing direct damages and economic perturbation to the company. By direct action i was talking about sabotage and such. How the fuck deploying a banner on a building is a big action to make things change ?
    People who physically oppose to Keystone XL construction and activists who use sabotage to provoke economic lost to the companies is far more productive then an unoffensive banner deployed on a building.

Just compare what Green Peace are doing against what Sea Shepherd is doing in the domain of protection of the sea. Or compare Green Peace involvment into earth protection, against Earth First actions... Violent direct action and sabotage is far more productive and causing more damage to the enemies than the hippies who doesn't want to take radical actions. You can make the same comparison in all other domains...

8. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

i can see what you mean by that, but civil disobeidence is a whole different thing, that could be protesting at doing a peaceful demonstration or sit down like they do at block-upy, direct action is many different things than just sabotaging, direct action could be boycotting it could be anything,

but i wanna adress this, they climb a fucking building, impressive enough that they risk their lives of doing this, the building they are climbing is actually located next to another building owned by shell, by deploying that banner they show their regards to shell a big "fuck you", i don't see why you guys complain that this some kind of hippie activism, i wouldn't say that burning a fucking truck or a container will make capitalism dissapear, but i think i want to start a new thread about this about direct action where we should discuss this further :thumbsup: .

9. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    lol

And Green Peace deploying a banner will ?

10. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

it could change people minds radically about their views, on oil companies like shell.

I don't understand why you mock me for having a opinion really... as a matter of fact i think the way you respond to me is kinda rude :/ ..

11. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Don't worry about the mockery coming from a clown, my old friend the textile peddler has a long history of laughable positions, loudmouthed almost every time his personal version of "anarchy" is surfacing.
    This time he's trying to sell you the dummy version of action/propaganda of the deed - something he never was part of himself, especially not as a wageslaving worker sabotaging his own exploitation/repression
    ... eh, ungov?

now s-saurus, you are absolutely right, direct action is everything a group of people does to influence - or finally change - social, economical or political issues (now the important part) WITHOUT THE MEDIATION THROUGH A POLITICAL PARTY, LEGAL COURT OR LOBBYIST INTERESTGROUP.

Direct action is direct democracy, giving the people who are concerned or involved a wide range of tactics and strategies - strikes, workplace- and other protestoccupations, picketlines, flag droppings like the Greedpeacers made since they were founded without the assistance of misanthropes like (sea sheperds) Paul Watson. Demonstrations, blockades and protests are direct action, initiatives, NGO's and communes are direct action too.
    Direct action can BUT MUST NOT take militant forms, if they turn into violence even against material property only, they are often critisized by the more liberal majority of the movement backing up the specific struggle, this has to be discussed in public - well, try to discuss sabotage or arson attacks in public and you make the cops and the state security very happy - so it''s more than debateable if conspirative action is Direct Action at all.
    I'm no pacifist and I don't really mind a little trouble, but I think militant action or action of the deed has to be considered very carefully in context with the circumstances and, most important, with the position of the majority movement to prevent a secession of the small militant minority. often resulting in the development of later "terrorist" groups like the french action directe or the german raf - or seasheperd
    meanwhile a bunch of vegan weirdos contemplating a reduction of the world population and the development of professional parentship to make sure the "right" descendants are born...

Meine Fresse Ungov, du schreist wirklich nach Einsatz in der Zirkusmanege!

12. Bakica

Feb 21, 2010

Your flame wars are not welcomed here. And you could have just given the link to wikipedia.

And for Stego, don't mind him. Why did you get so offended ? He IS telling the truth. Greenpeace activists aren't going to achive anything, same goes for PETA. I think people have to understand that we need to take some radical actions if we want change.

13. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    Stegs sometimes people doesn´t want to hear about truth or do not want to know what is true or false(apathy).
    Since most of worlds population would rather sit on their ass and hear/do nothing, it will make them happy(what makes you happy, makes you content(status quo))so i support Bakica and Ungov in this.Direct action is a must nowadays if you want to do something that will change peoples minds.
    People looks bored when they see a banner "Fuck Shell", but if you blow up Shells gas station they will drool and say:Wooooooow nice firework.
    My point is...shiny things will get attention of child for a while(Child=society)

14. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

i believe that they did some kind of change and showed civil disobeidence and direct action of them climbing up a tall building, they showed their protest and did something radical,

as to why i get offended is the way, the attitude he used when he responded, it was responds like "lol", and other kinds of mocking, like i wasn't taken serious, which is why is feel annoyed, anyhow that is in the past and we may not agree on this and how direct action is

though i believe PETA won't change anything and they act like a bunch of nutjobs :thumbsup: .

15. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Haha, gobbledigooks, you really sound like a big big idealist.

@stegosaurus
    You are definitely taken seriously on the forum, no worries. If no one took you seriously they wouldn't bother replying or discussing things with you :) I don't think it is wrong to call it direct action, but I'm no big fan of symbolic acts either. There is nothing wrong in climbing a building or dropping a dead whale in the middle of a city as a symbolic act, BUT I really dislike the fact that some people think they can change things only through symbolic acts, like your hands are wiped clean just because you say you're an anarchist(or whatever it is about).
    I don't know how I really feel about it though, as long as your political actions aren't only based on symbolic acts there's nothing wrong in joining a demonstration even though it might not bring down the system this time.

16. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    This is a protest tactict and not direct action!
    Direct action would mean the 6 women stoped shell and other oil companies drilling in the artic... \m/

[​IMG]