Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The older I am the more punk I am...

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Bananaman, May 13, 2010.

1. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Ok, so I wante to start a debate on this... Tonight I went to see The Ex and was disappointed through and through, as the band now hs only one original member and plays some kind of second rate progressive post punk, or whaever it is called. The crows was mostly students jazz progressive crowd whatever... What I want to say is the show was too static for me. I gave up mosh pits a long time ago but I still like shows that are a bit wild and physical. I like to carry stagedivers and from time to time to stage dive myself. I like shoe that carry a bit of emotional influence not just sondwawes that ight appeal to somebody. In a way I fell kind of like I threw away money tonight...

Also I found out that I have prejudices about people that play in bands I don't like. In a way I must addmit that this is true. I think it maters what your band sings about and what message you are promoting...

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    The older I get the more radically active I become! I'm done with being semi-active 'cuz I'm running out of time! And I agree with you Bananaman I feel more punk now than ever and have little to no patience with bands that 'half ass' a show.... :ecouteurs:

3. Senri

Senri Member Forum Member

Feb 4, 2010

The older I get the more I begin to loath people who call themselves punk, anarchist, and everything in between. I guess I was never really a punk, and just an anarchist, but I always have been at one with the punk scene, whatever it is. It's just one of those things where as you get older you learn that people are more and more in it just for the fashion/slogans/etc. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the people who stick to it and are true, but you just see so much that is just in it for what I was just talking about, and it kinda hurts you. Ya know? Maybe I take this shit too seriously. Whatever.

4. leftover_anarchy

leftover_anarchy Member New Member

May 12, 2010

I totally agree with you, Senri. I really don't like it when people call themselves punk. Of cause, if you have to catorgarize yourself to try and describe yourself to someone, using the word "punk" may be the way to go, but apart from that... :ecouteurs:
    Anyway - I also agree with you other guys. The older you get, the more you feeel like the younger bands aren't doing what they promise - am i right?
    And I think the reason you feel more "punk" these days is probably because of the number of kids who are only hanging around the scene because they like violent pits/the name of the band/getting drunk.

5. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    the older i get, the less tolerant i am of others who just don't seem to get it.

6. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Get what?

Kidding =P

I know what you mean, maybe it is because the older we get, the more grumpy we get? Once we have become wiser on a subject, the more easier it is for us to fall into the trap of thinking the subject is easy to grasp. Then when we see someone struggling with the concept, you go come on, I did it, it isn't that hard. Soon we will all be on our porches with brooms yelling at kids, "GET OFF MA LAWN!, damn kids and their skateboards. Back in my day.." I can't wait for that to be honest, I will be the most badass elderly person in the world. I will even light my broom on fire for that OH SHIT! effect.

7. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    lol... i love the topic title

8. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    everyone who posts on this thread should start it with...THE OLDER I AM...

9. Bananaman

Aug 9, 2009

The older I am... I would like to expand on the initial subject but can't quite put to words what I am feeling. I listen to a lot of non punk music all the time, but can't really get into newer rock bands. A lot o newer local bands seem to lack ideas and cretivity and just make music and lyrics that come off as half arsed. Is it me getting older? But the fact is a lot of those bands are made up of people that are same age as me. Were the bands of 20 or 30 years ago so much better? Is it just that I got used to it at a young age so now I think it was good when it reality it was never that good? Has everything been said and done already?

I like to see things that are out there, I've seen noise experimentators produce sounds by mixing items that should never be mixed. And while I won't sit at home and listen to somebody bending a spoon that is conected to ten distortion pedals I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. On the other hand I have less tolerance than ever for new waveish bands that just seem to produce stuff by the numbers and not put much effort into their stuff. I'd much rather listen to good minimalistic d-beat like Pisschrist...

I like getting older... Never really cared for fashion and labels... Somehow I feel that I have something to add. I know that a lot of people care more about their looks than ideas that are communicated, even if they say otherwise. I find it funny that every so often we have conversations about people that are no longer part of the scene. And quite often people parise not those that had something to say or made great fanzines/bands, but those that had the most studded jackets or were heavy drinkers or were the wildest/whatever. In a way it feels wrong. I can't talk about people in the past and not consider what they are doing now. To give an international exmple...

The band Crisis, some like to praise them as an anarchist/punk/whatever band... But I can never consider them anarchist or a band with a positive message as they did join the BNP and made Death In June and Sol Invictus that are/were pro-nazi/right wing...

10. Protspecd

Mar 3, 2010

The older I am.. the harder it is for me to get an erection?

I will try and answer that. Rock has definitely evolved, a lot of 'punk' today sounds somewhat different to the stuff back in the 70's/80's. Personally I find a lot of 'punk' bands today have a lot more music that sounds like the old stuff only more produced. Not sure if I am getting the right point across, hopefully I do. But it could also be that you are just evolving over time, listening to bands that are coming out now days that are in the same genre will definitely feel like they are just re-doing everything in the past. So it may not feel like they are doing it better. Reading over my post, something doesn't feel right. If someone knows what I am getting at, please help hahaha. I can't think of how to put it down in words.

Edit: I forgot to put The older I am.. at the start of my post as Anxiety suggested.

11. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    WTF ?? The band crisis joined the BNP ??? We should remove them from this website..

It's really weird, they made an album called "We Are All Jews And Germans" against nazism...

:lmao: :lmao:

12. Bananaman

Aug 9, 2009

13. Protspecd

Mar 3, 2010

I was just about to start a new thread on this =P

This is fairly intriguing to be honest. With crisis playing at RAR and ANL then the controversy that surrounds Death in June is just weird. The fact that he (who is openly homosexual too) has worked with many Jewish people and has played in Israel in front of a Jewish audience calls doubt to the accusations but he could just be covering his on views up. You would think if he really felt strongly about Nazi views he wouldn't even be in Israel. I am still ignorant on this topic anyways, so I may just research more into this.

14. fcuk_the_police

fcuk_the_police New Member New Member

May 14, 2010

the older i get the more wiser i get and the less i care about people and things. music is music and no matter what that song that changed you to get into punk music will always be there and that band regardless if theyve changed they still had that sound that you loved so much, that brought you closer to yourself and told you who you are. it doesnt matter if punk is changing for christs sake its 2010 punk had its time through the 70's and 80's of course the music is going to change, but the message will more than likely always be the same.

15. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Typical btw that I'm now actually listening to Die Toten Hosen - Nichts Bleibt für die Ewigkeit...
    Anyway, the older I am, the more I'm starting to enjoy myself, truly, instead of in some weird fucked-up way. And to be honest I don't really give a shit about bands and their changes or style, I just really enjoy hanging around with friends while someone's creating background music for us :p

16. krink

krink New Member New Member

May 14, 2010

how old is 'old' in this discussion? o_O

the older i get the more i am sure the idealism i had as a kid was a good thing and I'm more sure that anarchism is the best answer to the problems in the world.

I also care a hell of a lot less about 'what others might think' :ecouteurs:

(41 and loving it)

17. ILuvEire

ILuvEire Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 5, 2010

Oy, I totally agree. I've noticed that the older I get, and especially the more I read and the more experience I have with the world, the more anarchist I get. You know, I started off being a democrat a few years ago, and I've just hiked my way further and further left on the political spectrum :D And hell, I'm only 16

18. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

The older I get I start to realize that the people are ass-holes and that the anarchy wont work if there are so many dickasses ( including me \m/ ). I start to realize that revolution must be violent.

19. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    yeah that s true the older i get i m becoming more and more less tolerant about some people,situations,current state of affairs and makes me angry but i realize some stuff about anarchy,my mission to tell people about it,about our freedom fight,about things that should be,not it could be.

20. pezPwnage

pezPwnage Active Member Forum Member

Apr 25, 2010

the older i get the more my mind and brain open to the evils and the horrible state of the world in which we live in, the evils and woes of capitilism, facism, authoritarianism, conservative shits, nationalists, police, the government, todays media, mainstream music, poverty, genocide, wars for money, religion, globalisation, the disgusting treatment and disrespect of women, racism, discrimination, malnutrition, no water to drink, celebrities and i could think of do much more, and im quite young, barely 14. lol. Also it the older i get the more of an understanding i begin to have of modern politics and anarchy and why it will work and is the solution.