Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The option to say no on a ballot

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by JolleyPunk, May 9, 2016.

1. JolleyPunk

JolleyPunk Active Member Forum Member

Aug 5, 2015
     United States
    Hello everyone

I've been thinking a lot about the coming election and my role as an anarchist in it all and I realized something about the US's election system. Being a democracy, and as shitty of an example of that as we are, you would think that when electing officials into office the people would have the option to say "none of the above" if they do not like any of the candidates being presented. But for some reason, in the entire history of the USA, we have never once had the ability to say "none of the above" to the possibilities for a president, governor, senator, etc. In your opinion, should there be an option to vote for no one and still have that vote count among the votes being cast in favor of the candidates? And if you do believe in this option of no one, how would you suggest the matter be handled if the vote for no one was to win?

2. JawnLobotomy

JawnLobotomy Active Member Forum Member

Jun 25, 2012

Interesting topic to bring up and I love stuff like this, even though I'm Canadian and our election processes are similar but vastly different.

Voting for no one is almost a cop out. It could be viewed in very different ways, and with how polarizing your country's two-party system is, I could see it being a very hot topic. If no one was to win, then you guys would need to have an all out all-american triathalon with the following events involving all candidates - NASCAR race, Monster Truck Showdown, and a Royal Rumble.

All jokes aside though...

Just my feeling, and there is no concrete evidence in what I am about to say, but it seems that if you don't vote for either of the two big parties, you're considered a political outcast with no actual idea of how american politics works (I.E. vote for the person who spent the most during their campaign). This is probably more a media bias, because I can't see the bigger picture internally and I am removed from your voting practice.

All this being said, I would love to actually see a 'retraction of vote'. A -1 if you will. If you can vote for someone to get in, why can't you vote AGAINST that same candidate. I believe it would send a strong message to those who were held in regard to the election process, and as well to the other people who voted.

And I would make an argument that the U$A has made a transition away from the democracy it was founded on, towards a plutocracy which it now unabashedly and wholeheartedly represents.

3. CroydonTouristOffice

CroydonTouristOffice Member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2016
     United Kingdom
    In the UK, defacing your ballot paper is counted as a "none of the above" vote.

It's a symbolic gesture, but still an important one.

4. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I believe that there are some countries that allow various versions of a "none of the above" vote.

I think that a shorter election cycle, with the option to vote for "none", would do wonders for our country. Less fanfare and posturing, less peacock strutting, more getting to the point and giving people a wide range of options. If more than half of the population votes, "none", start over with new candidates.

Why should we always be stuck choosing between the lesser of two evils? What kind of democracy is that?