Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The Anti Nowhere League, homophobia and the bands and promoters who support it

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by punkmar77, Sep 25, 2015.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    [​IMG]

http://www.punx.uk/the-anti-nowhere-lea ... upport-it/

This has been mentioned by many before, about the song “The Day The World Turned Gay” by Anti nowhere league, apparently the lyrics are a conversation Animal heard, a load of bollocks I think but keeping that in mind, what about If the Lyrics were a racist conversation he heard, instead of homophobic and Transphobic one? how would people feel then? I don’t see many people kicking off now about “the league” they’re still playing punk festivals etc.

Here are some of the disgusting lyrics from “the day the world turned gay”

Now it disgusts me a band with lyrics like this are been accepted in the punk scene they shouldn’t be accepted in any scene but what about if it was racism Animal was spreading instead of homophobia ?

Even if it is a conversation he heard, he is still spreading hate, i don’t write songs using racist conversations I’ve heard, That would be racist, so Would people still support them then ?

What’s the difference between him singing “now we’ve got puffs, queers and dykes etc. ” to him singing something awful like “now we’ve got muslims, pakis and Africans etc. ”

Homophobia and Transphobia is still as bad as racism, it’s all disgusting bigotry, to me it’s just as bad as if it was racist lyrics he was singing, what’s the difference? I suppose homophobia and transphobia is acceptable in the punk scene, thought punk was about equality? silly me. This band shouldn’t be accepted spreading hate and bigotry it’s disgusting and still people support them, “they’re just having a laugh”, but there is nothing funny about hate and bigotry.

If you are a band playing with Anti-Nowhere League, a venue or promoter putting them on, you are supporting homophobia / transphobia. Its 2015 not the 1950s, let’s retire these out of touch bigots and their horrible views to the trash of history where they belong.

– Rebel GRRRL

R-EVOLUTIONPUNK likes this.

2. traqn dimitrov

traqn dimitrov Active Member Forum Member

Mar 7, 2013
     Bulgaria
    I do agree that homophobia isn't something that should be taken lightly but you can't know what exactly the person meant with the lyrics without asking him so don't jump on him quite yet

3. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Sorry I call bullshit, he tried to rationalize it with the idea that it was a conversation he overheard and so he made it into a song. But only after he was called out on it...that is something you mention at the release of the song with an explanation, not as a fucking back peddling defense of your own obvious homophobia.

4. Havran

Havran Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 22, 2012
     Czech Republic
    What the actual fuck...

5. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I've known one too many homophobic "punks" :ecouteurs:
    I suppose you could make the argument that the lyrics are somehow satirical or sarcastic, but they seem like pretty straightforward, grade-A, homophobic garbage. Am I offended? No. Offended is a word that has been used into oblivion; it has become a weak and useless term that conveys nothing of real value.
    I'm bored with this kind of backwards thinking, and I'm angry with the oppressive, homophobic culture affiliated with it. It's not edgy. It's not useful. It's not even entertaining or witty. It's an easy, unimaginative jab at a sizable group of people who have already taken too much shit from the world at large.
    Punk is known for being offensive, but the punk that I know and love isn't so dull and so cowardly that it stoops to the conversational level of scared teenage jocks from good, conservative, christian homes talking shit in the locker room on those "queers". In fact, I thought it was supposed to be a kick in the ass to that kind of banality and ignorance.
    Fucking Christ. :ecouteurs:

6. ollyollyoxenfree

ollyollyoxenfree New Member New Member

Oct 7, 2015

Homophobia has no place in punk. Yes punk is meant to start shit and ruffle feathers, but it's also about equality for everyone, and homophobia goes against that message. Last time I checked, that kind of hateful bullshit is reserved for the neo-nazi fuckers.

7. Tommo

Tommo New Member New Member

Mar 5, 2011

Thanks. ANL have toured a few times through my city. If they come again I'll do up a flier about that and circulate it around the support.

8. nathanandrews

nathanandrews Member Forum Member

Dec 27, 2012

what about the lyrics to woman...the guys a fuckin pig

R-EVOLUTIONPUNK likes this.
  9. CHARX

CHARX Member Forum Member

Apr 18, 2015

What about neo-nazi punks, dude? Punk rock is mostly about equality, but you do get racist, homophobic, sexist, and religious bigots sometimes. You just need to shove your dick up their asshole and they'll stop dissing gays, cuz they'll know how good it feels. Proof? Here it is: <https://books.google.com/books?id=d58z5hgQ2gsC&pg=PT153#v=onepage&q&f=false> There's something in all men's asses that lets us cum without jacking off. Women aren't as lucky, but anal can still feel good for them :)

10. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    [​IMG]

11. JolleyPunk

JolleyPunk Active Member Forum Member

Aug 5, 2015
     United States
    I hate punks that run around using the excuse of "punk is meant to piss people off!" to put their horrible opinions into punk as if its okay. Homophobia has no place in punk

12. CroydonTouristOffice

CroydonTouristOffice Member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2016
     United Kingdom
    Even if it was a conversation, he does nothing to draw attention to the ridiculousness of it. If the song was meant as social commentary, then it utterly fails in its attempt at conveying it.

When GG Allin is making more succinct social statements than you are... stop trying to make social statements. Seriously, just go back to writing songs bragging about your day trips to Hastings. It's fine, you don't have to over-exert yourself by trying to deal with complex issues like men sleeping with other men. No, I know it's confusing. I know, Animal- how DO they decide who's the top and who's the bottom? Just try not to stress yourself out about it, okay? Here's a beer, go write another unintentionally hilarious song about self-harming. Try not to get sued by Hugh Cornwall.

Funny thing is, I actually get a feeling he isn't really homophobic and that this is largely the result of him trying to cash in on a scene he never really understood. "Oh, they're angry about stuff, they hate people and they write songs about the people they hate - okay, that sounds easy."

Actually, the idea that he was using homophobia as a cash grab is actually worse. I mean, say what you like about fascists but at least they have the courage of their convictions.

A friend of mine referred to ANL as "plastic hate" and that really sums it up for me. Pure, manufactured ignorance designed to appeal to the worst element in the punk scene.

13. DickEvil

DickEvil Member Forum Member

Sep 16, 2016

Aren't they satirical? Like the Smut Peddlers?

14. CroydonTouristOffice

Apr 4, 2016
     United Kingdom
    They claim to be satirical - but, if they are, it isn't very good satire. I mean, satire is supposed to make some sort of point about what it is satirising and ANL just don't... at all!

15. DickEvil

Sep 16, 2016

I was always under the impression that they were supposed to be the punk band that all of the people who don't know what punk actually is thinks every punk band is. Kind of like Crucial Youth.

16. CroydonTouristOffice

Apr 4, 2016
     United Kingdom
    That's basically The Exploited, isn't it?

17. DickEvil

Sep 16, 2016

Well the Exploited actually have talent so...

18. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Although I don't think ANL have ever really been able to top their first album, and early singles, I have, up to this point been a fan of theirs.

I was very disappointed when I read the lyrics to this particular song.

This is just as bad as "Tooling for Anus" by The Meatmen, another band who claims that those set of lyrics were "Satirical".

I have a few friends in the LGBTQ community who were "Fag bashed" at one time or another, so this is a topic I don't take lightly.

Other songs to look out for would be "Transvestite" by Peter and The Test Tube Babies, "I'm Not a Loser" by The Descendents, and "Don't Blow Bubbles" by The Bad Brains.

And does anybody else see the irony behind www.punx.uk posting the lyrics, denouncing them, and then selling Bad Brains t-shirts?

19. 1xAntifa

1xAntifa Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    Major fuckup on my part for uploading ANL Punk Singles Collection. Both my kids are LGBQTI so I'm not personally homophobic. I didn't realise how far ANL had sunk. It was too late to delete the thread by the time Hat warned me about the tune, but thankfully the mods deleted it. All I can do is vet my uploads more carefully.

I offer my sincerest apologies to all here for my gross error.
    >:(>:(>:(

:lgbt::lgbt::lgbt::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Pandora warwick and punkmar77 like this.
  20. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Well, at least it wasn't The 4 Skins.
    (Sorry, but I'm in a rather snarky mood right now, so I couldn't resist. Anyway, I think you can be forgiven. You didn't know, and we all make mistakes. We're all human.):)

Pandora warwick likes this.