Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchy and Free Speech

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Berserksteve, Nov 11, 2014.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    So because your experience as a part of the colonialist minority of whites in South Africa differs to the vast majority in the rest of the world we should discount white privilege? I take it then that you disaprove of actions by anonymous that censor websites like Stormfront or actions in the UK to shut down the National Front, Britain First, UKIP et all? Hatespeech is not free speech Spike, I dont think you understand what hatespeech is..it is speech that calls for the direct harm, violence to and unharnassed opression of anyone of any race or śexual preference for any reason. If you would defend this 'right' then I have a real issue with your privilege. If you don't recognize that privelege in yourself because of your unique background everyone else should suffer it right?

2. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    There seems to be a misunderstanding here because what you and I understand under hatespeech is very different.
    This is my understanding of what hatespeech is:

Which is despicable, but I understand that your version of it is that it's an actual incitement to a direct act of violence on a racial, sexual, or ethnic group, and in that case I can see where you're coming from and why you wouldn't consider that to be free speech.

No Mar, that's not what I'm saying at all. I know that we as whites in colonial South Africa were privileged. What I said was that even though the balance of power has now shifted I still feel more privileged than many people who live in other countries such as North Korea for example, and that you as an American citizen also enjoy more privileges than many. And that on the internet I don't feel more or less privileged than my dark-skinned brothers because of freedom of speech.

3. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I understand my many privileges Spike, and I actively work on rejecting them. Although I somewhat agree with the learned dictionary version of hatespeech remember dicionaries dont always get it right...*see anarchy*..at least we agree on our interpretation of hatespeech and its place in freespeech.