Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Getting older and the way you dress.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sick Boy 77, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Sick Boy 77

Sick Boy 77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Mar 29, 2010

I'm almost 30 and it I'm starting to get to the point of wondering what to do with the way I dress. It's not the point of what people think of when they see a 30 year old dressing punk. It's the point of not really caring what the fuck nuts I look like. I never really did care but at the same time I did. There is a real big difference in your sate of mind when you're 15 and when you're 30. I still wear my black pants with patches all over them and I just got a new vest to do the same thing to, but then I start thinking to myself. What is the point of it? I'm putting money into something that says "Cool! I got a new vest and I am going to patch work the fuck out of it!", but at the same time it says "Wow, I put money into something that I don't need in the long run." I still love to wear my boots, and will never stop wearing them. These steel toe stompers have been with me for 8 years now and they still have at least another 8 years left in them. Got them from and army surplus store NEW for $45. Can't beat that. Some poor bastard might have died wearing them. Anyway, is or has anyone else here had the same thoughts go through their head? What is the age range here anyway?

2. xXZenyattaXx

xXZenyattaXx Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 29, 2012

Damn kid, when did 30 become "old"!? Seriously... 30 isn't old people.... but really age is all a matter of how you feel inside more than the number you're affixed to. I'm 19, and one of mah best friends is a 51 soon-to-be grandma! Yet, I don't think she's old at all... I think she stopped aging at 35. ;) It varies though, like being 19 is apparently young as fuck or so I'm told but some days I feel like, mofo 27.

No... umm... really... the clothes thing is kinda stupid, I generally just do shit for the brief bit of entertainment it provides and anyone who says it's anything more than that is delusional - no matter what age they are. I mean, I know older punks who probably still look the same as they did when they were 21.... (I wouldn't know cause I wasn't born yet!) but then I know people who get that old and all have a big crisis n then just wear black all day, everyday. Damnit though, 8 years? You lucky fuck. Boots I find for cheap all keep falling apart on me....

3. stevrosoc

stevrosoc Active Member Forum Member

Mar 6, 2012

im 30 too and am covered head to toe in tattoos and can never take off my punk costume i feel a bit they same punk was abou bein a individual but still love the punk look but think its a bit cliched at times.people look at u and think grow up look at rebellion england pic some of the old punks look like sad bastards .i think its personal choice if you feel good dressing that way do it if u feel dumb.

4. Ammon

Ammon Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 6, 2012

I'm olny 13, so this could change, but i can see myself at age 70 with a punk jaget xes on my hand at punk show, but this could change

5. morethanfights

morethanfights Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 10, 2012

im 25 now, ive toned it down alot since i was younger, but i still look punk as fuck hahaha

6. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I'm 44 and I've also toned down alot (- studded jacket, - dyed hair, - combat boots) but I'd never wear "fashionable" clothes or get some "slick" shit haircut or something. I've got a new pair of jeans which I'll wear but I've also got torn jeans that ripped naturally over time at the knees and at the crotch with some patches on them which have then re-torn above the patches several times, and I also still wear those and I still have my bondage belt but which I now use for practical reasons. I've also got a pair of workers boots which I sometimes wear. And then of course some of my tattoo designs say "punk". But sometimes I appear relatively "normal", and I'm also ok with that.

7. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

Dress however you want. Actions are punk

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Obviously looking punk and being a punk are two very separate things...any asshole redneck jock can walk into any mall in the US and buy himself a look... :lmao:

9. Sick Boy 77

Sick Boy 77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Mar 29, 2010

I guess in the end. I will just keep being me and just dressing what ever cloths I feel like wearing that day. Being covered head to toe is something I am still working on.

Alice.f likes this.
  10. TiffanyB

TiffanyB Member Forum Member

Dec 8, 2012

If you feel stupid then stop wearing it, but dont do shit because socioty says so! if people look at you like "what the fuck, a 30 year old punk!?" well if ur a punk you wont give a goddamn and will just dress the way you are not the style, look at pictures of punks in the 70s and 80s, not all punks wore mowhawks, not all punks had holes in there cloths, not all punks wore leather, not all punks wore jeans, some punks wore teddy boy suits and some punks wore nice button up shirts with jeans past there hips. They werent being punk they were themselves and in being that socioty cast them as punks like us. Hell the original definition of punk a young rebel whos now someones bitch in prison, in the 20s and 30s theyd tell you "why you little punk your going to jail", over time those skinny kids thrown in jail had enough of it and started some real anarchy and by the 70s it dawned a new meaning that we all know... Your 30, that isnt old at all, ur not even halfway there (concidering you live past 60), my moms a speed metal biker from the 80s, almost 50 was a meth addict and smoker, hasnt conformed or changed her scene to please anyone but herself, yet she has yet to gain wrinkles or start to sag, people think shes still 30. Live, Do whatever makes you happy, and when you die you wont look back thinking "shit why did i live for them instead of me..." Never will i cut my hair for a job, never will i wear a suit to a wedding, never will i stop doing drugs cus you dont like it, never will i wear cloths because its in fashon, never will i be a straight god fearing sap for any organized religion and never will i like hip hop or techno or veil of maya just because old school punk isnt cool to you anymore... But thats just me not you. Best of luck to you and ur fight :)

11. whizzkvydic

whizzkvydic Member New Member

Dec 8, 2012

Well, I'm 23. Which seems to be somewhat in the middle of most of you guys and I guess you could say I'm just who I am. I was a metalhead for years before I got into punk, and still am,though I'm so much more diverse these days that I don't feel like trying to accurately define who I am. I guess I have calmed down my look in a sense. I don't squat and hobo around anymore so obviously my "style" has changed. However, I work a blue collar job which requires much of the same gear I had before.(steel toed boots,carharrts,the willingness to be filthy) Most days I look fairly regular,though I have some tattoos which can draw some attention here in the American south.(Including an anarchy symbol with "Fuck the Police" around it and a pentagram on my hand) I plan on getting covered in them soon enough and I do own various band shirts and a patched up vest that I wear when I feel like putting on my full "punk costume" as someone aptly put it. I like to be noticed as someone who thinks against the grain, but some circumstances in our "free society" prevent me from expressing myself. For example, I went to see my parole officer in a GG Allin shirt and she told me to turn it inside out. The way I see it, that's the great thing about punk rock- No one's telling you what you can and can't wear.(well, you get some pretentious pricks with their "punk rock points" but fuck them) It's our breath of fresh air in this system. As long as your heart is in the right place,whatever that place may be,you're the coolest motherfucker in the world kid. \m/

12. stevrosoc

stevrosoc Active Member Forum Member

Mar 6, 2012

i hate when people say im a individual and so different when really there the same as everyone else with a bit more ink and coloured hair.i wanted to stand out from people not to fit in.that always pushed me not to copy to try to feel comfortable in my own skin.

13. BroccoliIsForConservatives

BroccoliIsForConservatives Member New Member

Apr 9, 2012

Just wear whatever you feel reflects your personality at the time. I you feel that your clothes are "wrong" because they don't represent you anymore then just wear whatever feels good. Don't feel the need to change because society wants you to. By the way, being 30 and dressing punk > turning conservative and pretending that nothing ever happened :ecouteurs:

14. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

i second you on that.
    although i have stopped dying my hair and shaving it, it seemed silly and it is very high-maintenance. that has nothing to do with growing up though, i`m still 21(going on 20). my hair started falling out too so I thought I`d give it a rest.

15. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    High maintenance and the constant bleaching and dying really does fuck your hair up in the long run, especially the over-bleaching. Unless of course you're willing to spend extra money on conditioners and shit. Oh, and what about all the hairspray/hair glue and all the other shit some ppl put in their hair (someone mentioned painting shellac on it with a paint brush lol) to keep their mohawks up? So I ended up just teasing my hair up but that probably fucks it up even more! :lmao: But hey, I'm not saying it sucks to do it, I still think it looks cool. And going bald is not really a problem, is it?

16. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Haha my hair is down to my ass and every time I shower I loose enough hair to make someone a wig, I still wear band shirts mostly friends bands that I will always support, haven't patched jeans in 20 years or more stopped wearing studs and bondage gear when they became available at every mall on the planet almost everything I have is black, still rock a bomber/flight jacket in black and another one in green with patches and a hoodie that is patched out to the extreme...and I'm 45, have grandkids already, I've been a punk from the age of 10 so that's well over 3/4 of my life...don't think I'll be changing my mind before I die. :beer:

Didz likes this.
  17. Ammon

Ammon Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 6, 2012

You'v been a punk since 10, thats awsome, im 13 and i'v been told ill grow out of it. i dought it, i can relate to so much of it, as for anarchism: my parents have raised at food not bombs and mayday marches, iv grow up around it and i dont see myself giving it. growing out of punk happens but i dont see it hppening to me \m/

punkmar77 likes this.
  18. XxInGrindWeCrustxX

XxInGrindWeCrustxX Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 2, 2012

I remember seeing in the punk documentary "Another State of Mind" a guy talking about how you characterize yourself a lot in society by the way that you dress. I think that this extremely true. What I think is stupid is not dressing the way we dress, but when people start listening to punk just to dress like they are one. I know a kid like that who often calls people the derogatory term for homosexual out of anger and to insult, and when I ever I see that, it hurts me that such a unique style is being exploited just so that this kid can boost his ego and look cool in front of hist friends. STAY PUNK \m/

19. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

haha, right on. no wonder it falls out when its that long though, its probably a little heavy!
    and yeah, I used 40 vol. bleach and I could change colors twice a month sometimes, no wonder my hair hates me now. when i think about all the time i wasted, argh. i gave myself quite a few scalp burns too.
    Haha you could just say you`re a skinhead if it decides to fall off.

yeah, besides i find that it can be very misleading. you can have ten fucking mohawks and still be a complete asshole.
    its super lame(and i mean it). there are thousands of better curse words anyway!

20. CrustCat

CrustCat Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2012

Don't force yourself into a stereotype if it makes you uncomfortable now.
    I don't really wear my patched vests, but continue to work on mine since I love to sew by hand. If the activity makes you happy, continue doing it as a hobby and you can break it out when you no longer have the blues.
    Also: young til you die!

3 members have read this thread this month

1. Pandora warwick
  2. punkmar77
  3. Charger Bullet