Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Suicide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XxInGrindWeCrustxX, Nov 22, 2012.

1. XxInGrindWeCrustxX

XxInGrindWeCrustxX Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 2, 2012

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrO9NuXc1k&feature=relmfu[/video]

This is a great video I stumbled upon. Fucking blew my mind the points this guy made. Made the idea of ever contemplating this, totally ridiculous. Also brought to focus some of the fucked up issues with society.

2. Epidemic

Epidemic Member Forum Member

Nov 15, 2012

I hate to say it, but suicide is oftentimes a very selfish act, in my opinion.

3. XxInGrindWeCrustxX

Sep 2, 2012

Yes, it is. I hate to quote a band like NOFX, but "You know suicide isn't painless, when you leave everyone in pain."

4. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

people that do commit suicide put a lot of thought into it, and there are many different reasons to do it. i feel as if saying suicide is selfish is just as selfish as doing it.
    i recommend watching this:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpb_Q4osyY[/video]
    its really sad but it gives you a lot of insight in what actually makes people kill themselves. i think thats the one anyways, its a documentary called "the bridge".
    he has a point though, its ridiculous that we try to prevent things after they have happened, things that shouldn`t be happening at all.

5. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

I disagree. If you consider your life as belonging to you, then logically so does your death. Obviously, if you are a parent with young children, the situation is different since human being depend directly on you. However, in a system which controls our lives so much, I think it is important that we can choose to die in our own time, on our terms, so I am really not buying the "selfish/cowardly act" argument. Despite all the sadness that a suicide may cause, you just have to accept that someone decides to choose death and refusing to accept it would drive you crazy anyway.

6. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    In theory you may be correct but there is always another way out of one's predicament. Often it may just be a rough patch this person is going through, like a period of depression from which s/he can't see any way out at the time. They may not be in a rational state of mind to see it for what it is. I think it's better to learn to recognize the signs and try to help this person where possible. There was a certain time in my life where that option seemed very attractive to me and the only reason I didn't do it was because there were still people who cared about me and I didn't want to put them through that and now I'm fucking glad I didn't.

7. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

Of course. Sometimes, people do it for the wrong reasons, especially when they are in their teens, and at the end of the day, trying to get over it and surviving is a better option than killing one's self. The motives behind it also matter. But I still don't think it is a selfish act in itself, though it is a self-centered one.

8. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Like I said, in theory I tend to agree with you. It may even be a selfless act if you're doing it to save others.

9. XxInGrindWeCrustxX

Sep 2, 2012

I have seen that documentary before once when I was going through a rough patch myself. I think mostly it's just fucked up to kill yourself when there is people who do care about you.

10. Tom Pirate

Tom Pirate Member Forum Member

Nov 14, 2012

I believe people have the right to decide when they want their lives to end. That being said, it is a very sad thing and I don't ever advocate it.And I think there is a difference between deciding to end your life, and being put into a situation where you feel you need to end your life. In other words, wanting your life to end simply because you feel it's the right time is a very personal decision that someone has the right to choose to do, despite that I don't support that decision because of its effects on others, but feeling so depressed and trapped that you feel death is the only way out is something else, and we should try to do whatever we can to make sure that no one has to feel that way.

11. nclpw

May 25, 2012

Its not an irrational thing to do, and like the ones here that have admitted to having thought about it, its not easy to go through with it. You don`t just have a rough patch and then kill yourself, the ones that do commit suicide go through more than "just a rough patch". It takes a lot of thought and planning(sorry if I`m sounding morbid, but it does). Reaching out and not getting help before its too late happens a lot. There are tons of trolls on the web as well, so it might not be the best place to reach out. Well, not the mainstream sites anyway. They either get the whole troll treatment or it gets blown off as a cry for attention. Its completely absurd that people don`t take it seriously when someone says they want to kill themselves. It has to be taken seriously, no matter who says it or whatever the situation is.
    And as for the whole "selfish" thing, everything we do is selfish in its own way. I mean, we help others because in the end it makes us feel better. We are nice to people because doing bad things makes us feel bad.
    I agree with tom pirate.
    When you reach a point in your life where you see no other option, it won`t be a choice. But as everyone else has said already, I`m not pro-suicide. Just thinking about what a person goes through before they end their life is really gut wrenching.

Oh, that documentary may be triggering though, might not be the best idea to watch that if you`re depressed. Maybe I should have mentioned that.

12. stevrosoc

stevrosoc Active Member Forum Member

Mar 6, 2012

its bad on your parents if they are alive still.they go through so much to raise you.its hard on them.

13. CrustCat

CrustCat Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2012

What if someone had no one.
    Example: Gay and transgendered youth often become homeless because their parents hate who they are and kick them out. These young adults often become sex workers and get addicted to drugs to cope with the shitty path their life is trailing through. Abuse happens.
    The suicide rate in the LGBT crowd is pretty fucking high, and I'm going to assume that being alone was one of the reason they decided to end it all.
    Same with rape victims who don't have the family members or resources to deal with the pain.
    I hate the whole "It's selfish bullshit." The shit some humans deal with daily.... We have no right to attach a narcissistic adjective to their character.
    I try my best to help prevent the rate from going higher, whether it's with money going to organizations to help lost souls or just by smiling at a stranger who appears to be having a bad day.
    :D <- To all of you guys

14. Tom Pirate

Tom Pirate Member Forum Member

Nov 14, 2012

I agree with Crustcat. Adding to that, telling people struggling with suicidal thoughts that they shouldn't do it simply because it will hurt those around them, although this is very true, will make them feel guilty, and as a result even more likely to commit suicide.

15. Dave Samsara

Dave Samsara Active Member Forum Member

Nov 17, 2012
     United Kingdom
    Its not cut and dry. It's impossible to say this is right or wrong, as individual cases are different according to circumstance. People have choice, and once suicide has been considered whilst in a sound state of mind it takes enormous courage to either do the act or live on. However, children who have lost parents to suicide are massively more likely to grow up experiencing psychological problems not least of all caused by guilt. Statistically they are much more likely to self harm, and ultimately consider suicide themselves. The knock on effect is massive.

16. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm not advocating this here in any way but I can fully understand what would make a kid decide to become a suicide bomber. Whereas I'm also aware that ther are often other sinister factors and motives involved.

17. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    That depends on their motive for helping others. Some people help others for selfish reasons, so that they can feel better or less guilty about themselves. Others help people because they feel a genuine empathy towards them and sure it makes you feel good but in the latter case the motive is not selfish.

18. nclpw

May 25, 2012

i think its just less selfish than doing something for yourself. theres nothing wrong with that though.

19. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    The way I described it is maybe too black & white. Helping someone for selfish reasons is still better than not helping at all. There's nothing wrong with being nice to someone because it makes you feel good, I don't think that's even selfish though. Like, if I see someone's feeling sad, I feel compelled to try to cheer them up because I feel bad for that person. If I manage to cheer them up then It'll automatically make me feel better but that's just a bonus. I wouldn't say that that's the main reason for me trying to cheer them up.
    On the other hand if someone's trying to bum money from me it often depends on my mood and the way I perceive that person (and if I can afford it) whether I'll give them something or not.

20. nclpw

May 25, 2012

oh no, its not, if anything the way i described it is pretty black and white. I just think the word "selfish" is pretty negative to most, but there is(as you said) nothing wrong with helping others because it makes you feel good. if only more people did that I`m sure we`d all feel a little bit better. aw, there are no hippie smileys here.