Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Crust Punk music?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by psychodelic, Oct 18, 2010.

1. psychodelic

psychodelic Member Forum Member

May 29, 2010
     Canada
    I would like to learn some Crust Punk but first off I don't really know what that is and also I have no bands to listen to that are Crust Punk.
    If you guys and gals could help me out with a general description and some recommendations it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Green Day is crust

3. psychodelic

May 29, 2010
     Canada
    yep I'm sure it is

4. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

don't be a smart arse :p

5. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

skitsystem, wolfbrigade, Nausea, Amebix, Doom
    thats a starter i guess

6. psychodelic

May 29, 2010
     Canada
    Oh cool i had no idea that Skitsystem, Amebix and Doom were crust punk, likened them to grindcoreish type music. Interesting

7. WrongfullSuspicion

WrongfullSuspicion Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 17, 2010

Behind Enemy Lines
    Aus Rotten
    Tragedy
    His Hero is Gone

And if you like some more slow, sludgy postmetal inspired crust, try out Fall Of Efrafa, or Morne

8. wafflecakes219

wafflecakes219 Active Member Forum Member

Dec 14, 2009

appalachian terror unit, nuclear death terror, anti-product, antischism, disrupt, massgrave, DISCHARGE!(or D-Beat rather)

9. Veganarchy

Veganarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 10, 2009

Yeah, grind and crust can also be pretty close, but most crust is more groovy/hardcore in the sound than grindcore, wich is more thrashing (because of the blastbeats). But today crustpunk is a term that covers a lot of different styles and subgenres. The first crustpunk was played back in the mid- 80's by bands such as Amebix, Antisect and Hellbastard, and the word refers to the title of a record by Hellbastard, called "Ripper Crust". Later on, crust became more influenced by the D-beat style played by early 80's bands such as Discharge and Doom, and the more "stoney" crust would today be called stenchcore.

But subgenres and styles often included under the "crust-umbrella" is: Stenchcore, scandicrust, neocrust, D-beat, rawpunk, melocrust, blackened crust, scumcrust and 90's anarchopunk. Often bands play more then one of theese styles, and sometimes they come up with new names for their styles, wich can include references to other bands and records.

Long story short, crust is agressiv, political, social-realistic, sinister hardcorepunk...and the people involved in the scene are often vegan, wears black, greazy clothes and smells funny ;p

Some bands worth checking out (some are maybe more HC, anarcho or whatever):

Amebix
    Hellbastard
    Doom
    Anti-cimex
    Skaven
    Discharge
    Besthöven
    Skitsystem
    Antisect
    Nausea
    Aus-rotten
    Dirt
    Wolfbrigade
    Instinct of Survival
    Nuclear Death Terror
    Extreme Noise Terror
    Visions of War
    Witch Hunt
    Agrimonia
    Tragedy
    His Hero Is Gone
    Extinction of Mankind
    Guided Cradle
    Fall of Efrafa
    Mob 47
    Totalitär
    Pisschrist
    Kaaos
    Framtid
    Disrupt
    Avskum
    Oi Polloi

- Go ahead, punk:)

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

Mob 47
    Totalitär
    Kaaos
    Avskum

These groups listed above all fit more into the category of raw punk much more than "crust." I realize that its impossible to talk about punk these days without every good, fast, or raw band being labelled "crust." These are all pre-crust groups that may have influenced crust, but they don't really fit into the crust culture that well. Sure, you see crusties with Mob 47 patches, but there are a lot of non-crusties that love this kind of 80s raw punk (i think the swedish word is Kängpunk).
    Stuff like:
    Anti-Cimex
    Moderat Likvidation
    Crude SS
    War of Destruction
    Tampere SS
    Appendix

definitely influenced crust, but they weren't about veganism or the whole fashion thing (exception being Mob 47's song "Animal Liberation").
    Most of these bands wore studded leather, which will get you harassed at crusty shows nowadays. Funny, huh?

11. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Doesn't matter what genre you play, or who you influenced, if you wear something that obviously came about due to suffering, someone passionate about their beliefs will hassle you. Vegans/ crusties/ animal liberationists and leather, etc. Tell me you don't hassle capitalists, or get in any deep conversations/ arguments with people outside APN because you know they're just down right wrong.

12. Rabbit

Oct 26, 2009

There's a difference between educating and hassling. Hassling makes the other person far less likely to change. I try to have intelligent conversations about things like capitalism and imperialism because I want to change minds. I'm willing to listen to animal rights advocates, and I agree with many of their opinions, but if they would rather be elitist than inclusive, that's their problem, not mine.

Besides, don't you think its a LITTLE funny when someone wearing a Discharge shirt showing a guy with a leather jacket gives me shit for MY leather jacket?

13. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

manowar is krvst as fvck.

14. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Again I hate labels, (all music is rock n roll to me... oops bad billy joel refrence :p) But A good 'crust' band, the grandaddy of a lot of them is Filth. Also i hate to mention a PE band, but Detestation was pretty damn good.

15. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

I get your point. I also try to have intelligent conversations, and that's what I meant from that, but sometimes it gets a little more then that depending on who I'm talking too and how much I've had to drink. It IS a LITTLE funny, but like I said, it doesn't matter who said band influenced, people will have their own individual beliefs spreading past those of the people in the bands they listen to. Discharge is a great band, I listen to them, and I would, and have rocked them on my clothing, but does this make me a hypocrite because I'm against leather?
    Well... in all honestly, a little, but it's not they they fully promoted and told people to wear leather. It's not the same as listening or supporting a band that fully preaches against what you believe I guess is what I'm trying to say, and just because you like and listen to a band, you don't have to go by everything they say or do.

16. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

Thats the best post I've ever seen on this forum hahaha

Fuck Crust, Raw Punk is where its at

Also Amebix aren't technically crust, they predated that, listen to Killing Joke and you can pick apart their influence on just about every Amebix song... I'd say Amebix are in a class of their own: post punk-fused metal if you like

17. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

18. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

yeah Doom are pretty rad, but I still don't consider them crusty... at least early Doom.

I think the earliest example of Crust is Chaos UK's Short Sharp Shock, theirs plenty of early crust influence in that record.
    But yeah... crust now is melodic rip off death metal (booooo!)

Only good recent is band Nuclear Death Terror, all others are Profane existence wieners and rich kids pretending to be poor

19. Rabbit

Oct 26, 2009

Hah. You only thought of that because that poster is on my wall

20. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

WRONG! Doom is playing in my head every second of every day! :@