Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

The casualties? HA!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Raise Your Fist, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

LOL UnGov, sorry the last comment of mine was directed at Apples. I agree that its not all about the music, nor should it be. I don't mean pop-punk as in commercialized pop 'punk' but I simply meant the more melodic punk that came out of Lookout! or Nitro and a host of other labels should be recognized as punk.

2. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    there's a term for non punk bands that play punk sounding music. Alternative Rock. or indie rock, even if they are a major label band that has mainstream popularity these two archaic catergories are better then 'punk' as a label for them. Because i don't care how corrupted that gene pool of alt/indie bands is.

3. Apples

Apples Active Member Forum Member

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    Stolen from last.fm which was probably stolen from wikipedia:

Pop punk (also known as punk pop and other names) is a fusion genre that combines elements of punk rock with pop music, to varying degrees. It is not clear when the term pop punk was first used, but pop-influenced punk rock had been around since the 1970s; performed by bands such as the Ramones, Buzzcocks, The Jam, The Undertones, and Generation X. Bad Religion, who started in 1980, were another early band to play the genre, and some consider them godfathers of pop punk. In the mid-1990s, Southern California-based pop punk bands achieved worldwide commercial success, and the genre’s association with that area has led some to the term SoCal sound. Examples of breakthrough pop punk records are the 1994 multi-platinum albums Dookie by Green Day and Smash by The Offspring and most prominently the 1999 multi-platinum album Enema of the State by blink-182. From the mid-1990s onwards, some bands associated with the genre have been described as faux-punk, mall punk, pseudo-punk, bubblegum punk or surf punk.

4. ryan1980

ryan1980 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 9, 2010

You're proving my point that commercial "punk" isn't punk. Again, punk is about ethics, and bands that have no ethics to speak of were never punk to begin with. That's not to say people can't like their music or their "craft", but you have to know where it comes from. Less informed people don't know (or maybe don't care) and say it's punk because its, for the most part, easier than actual research.

5. Apples

Apples Active Member Forum Member

Jul 5, 2010
     United States
    I mean i get what you're saying but I do think there is a pop punk. All the non mainstream pop punk shows i go to there seems to be a good sense of DIY ethics and often political messages in their music as well as being very accepted in the local punk community in MD/DC. I personally just view punk and pop punk as two totally separate genres. Pop punk to me is taking punk and making it like-able to high school and college kids and as a result you get pop music with a punk influence.

If you're gonna call me "less informed" maybe I'll look into it a little instead of speaking from my own personal experience. "Many pop punk bands retained a do it yourself (DIY) approach to their music, and a number of independent record labels emerged during that period, often run by band members who wanted to release their own music and that of their friends. The independent labels Lookout! Records, Fat Wreck Chords and Epitaph Records were about to achieve mainstream success."

To me, what you're saying is that ethics are lost with mainstream success. Blink 182 had multiple releases on tapes and even a split record before hitting big. Green Day and the Offspring were bands that started with Lookout and Epitaph. Both being labels with a DIY approach. Maybe they just "sold out" and lost their ethics.

To anxiety, I think the lines between pop punk and alternative rock are blurred. But to me if I hear a song on the radio I feel like there is a difference in sound between purely pop punk bands and purely alt rock/indie bands.

6. (Filipe)

(Filipe) Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 4, 2010

THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THIS PART OF THE POST

this is related to that discussion between ungov and the other guy , HOW THE FUCK DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT WATTIE IS SAYING ?!! , he talks like his mouth is full of horse shit :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Now that is fucking funny... :lmao:

8. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

Fuck the Casualties, listen to Capitalist Casualties :thumbsup:

9. bigjeff

bigjeff Member New Member

Dec 28, 2010

i heard of this band! they sound ok, But i don't like the vox on any song- they need a better singer

10. Malignance_is_bliss

Malignance_is_bliss Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Jun 10, 2010

<posting in a dead thread>
    From word of mouth, when the Casualties came to Albany they were like rockstar primadonnas. this was a few years back, and I'm not sure the exact detail, but I remembering them having a bunch of pre-requisites for putting on the show. The ghouls as well, canceled bc the kids setting up everything wouldn't supply them with alcohol (they were asking for a full bar basically, for free).

11. dis vicious

dis vicious Member Forum Member

Feb 1, 2011

I used to like listen to the casualties, but then i heard E.N.T :ecouteurs:

12. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

If I listen to Wattie for a second I wanna smash his head open. Wattie really gets on my nerves. He is a horrible human being, and needs to get drunk and have a wreck, and die. He is a snob, who only thinks about himself. He is a racist, and a fascist.
    He spends most of his hours on his clothes, and hair, and thinking about how much he hates everyone.
    One day I will get my hand on his mohawk and rip his head off.
    Thats how much Wattie annoys me.

13. skulldrix

skulldrix Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 9, 2011

14. danzigmcfly

danzigmcfly Active Member Forum Member

Sep 29, 2010

i like the casualties and i'll tell you why, they come to my town. all the punk bands on the local level are pop punk in the worst sense of the term and all of the other bands skip my state when they tour i'm not saying that the casualties are the best band on the block but they are not the worst. they come out they are nice to the kids and they are a great way to get kids into punk, to catch an ear for it as it were like the misfits did back in the day and yes some kids will never catch on to the intellectual side of all of it, but some will and do and i consider that a win for punk and leftist counter cultural thinking and plus they have matured with their lyrics touching on subjects that may have been done by bands before them. what i mean to say is that for a kid who is just dipping their toes into punk likes the punchy chords the attitude all that will eventually find crass crust and all of that good stuff. i'm pretty shure that most of us started on a similar band for instance my first punk album was the sex pistols do i listen to the sex pistols now no but they did peak my curiosity about anarchy even though they had it all wrong

15. skulldrix

skulldrix Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 9, 2011

My first punk group was the Ramones, then I grew up to hate them.

16. zakkman666

zakkman666 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 20, 2012

I'm going to receive ALOT of flack for this but I personally love pop punk, stuff like Blink-182, Sum 41 and New Found Glory is alot of fun and I love the melodic guitar. The Casualties are fun to listen to but they have no substance.

17. Nihilist84

Nihilist84 Active Member Forum Member

Apr 14, 2011

OMG wtf you may no longer call yourself a punk sir :p sarcasm of course
    no one should give you shit for the music you choose to enjoy at least thats my opinion

18. zakkman666

zakkman666 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 20, 2012

I totally agree sir, life's too short to care what someone's taste in music is. I sometimes get down to 90s pop music. Fun music is fun music to me.

19. owedaliving123

owedaliving123 Member Forum Member

Apr 12, 2013

meh they've done some good songs [imo] but other than that.......

20. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Cartoons are fun to watch once in a while, but can get boring when they become predictable. Even worse when you have to pay more than $5.00-$10.00 (U.S.) for said cartoon

And this is actually coming from a person who paid about $100.00 (U.S.) to see KISS last March.

At least Kiss admits that it's overly expensive mindless entertainment, while The Casualties pretend they're "punk" and that they "Really care" and they're going to "Fight the system" and all the other tired, worn out, cliched slogans they can throw around.

You like The Casualties? Fine. I do too. Wanna pay good money to see them? I've done so on more than one occasion. Want their music? You could either pay for it, or just google which blog spots have their down loads at least once a day. If you find one, better take advantage of it quick, since I'm sure they have people doing the same search so they can remove the down loads on whatever file sharing site has them.

But, as far as I'm concerned, until I actually see or hear about The Casualties playing for free, attending/organizing a protest or demo, ladling food in a soup kitchen, and really putting their money where their mouth is, they're cartoon punx, and nothing more.

Fuck, even Fat Mike has more sincerity than The Casualties. (And yeah I've spent good money on NOFX music in the past.)