Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NickF, Feb 4, 2016.

1. NickF

NickF Member Forum Member

Jun 2, 2015

Hi everybody. I've been a member here for around a year but I rarely log in. I'm 24 years old and currently live at home in a very stressful and unhealthy situation. I've had pretty severe mental health issues since my early teens and they've derailed my attempts to find a place of my own. I was hoping someone could point me to resources to help me find somewhere to live temporarily with people who share some of the same ideas and can be understanding of my social problems. Sorry if this is a stupid post. I don't have many people I can talk to about this and I figured I'd give this a shot. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome! Thanks.

2. JawnLobotomy

JawnLobotomy Active Member Forum Member

Jun 25, 2012

Hey NickF, this isn't a stupid post, and what you said I feel needs more attention than it generally gets.

I struggle with my own mental health issues, which I won't get into, and I know it can be tough at times. Being generally against what society is and always having to grind against it is time-consuming and exhausting, and sometimes it feels like the weight of the world is on you. I know a lot of punks with social problems and generally speaking we've stuck together and when needed, are always there for each other. We support each other and give each other the care (within our personal capacities) that we can, and I think you should find some like-minded people who can care for you. I've generally considered my friends as my family because they've always been there for me when I needed them.

That being said, I'm glad you opened up and feel you can mention your issues here. This place is really friendly and open when it comes to helping and understanding others.

Do you work? Is there social assistance in your area so you can talk to someone even if you have trouble affording it? I'm not familiar with California myself, but I speak to a counselor once a month about my issues and it really helps!

If you're in any of the larger cities, there are HUGE punk scenes there. Start going to shows, getting acquainted, and finding where you fit and feel good. I always feel awesome after a good ripping show. Sorry if this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but these things are tough and I feel some of the same struggle you do! Keep on fighting and never give up!

3. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

Hey Nick. Been debating what to say here. I don't pretend to know exactly what you're going through, but I've been in situations that sound a lot like what you describe and I know it sucks more than words can accurately convey. I also know that most times people tried to offer me sympathy it just made me feel worse, so I'll try not to do the same to you. I wish I had more help to offer, all I can say is that it's not a stupid post, and while it may not be quite what you were asking for, if you need an understanding ear that's something I can try to provide--even if I'm just another guy bumbling his way through the dark.

4. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Hi Nick, hit up our mutual friend Craig Lewis who's written a couple books on mental health and punk he is a fellow APN forum member though he hasn't been on here in a few months, I forwarded this thread to him and asked him to reach out to you and anyone else here that is seeking wisdom..cheers and hope he can at least point you in a good direction.

5. Vulture

Vulture Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 12, 2015
     United States
    If you're looking for something stable, I suggest a commune. Look around the net, there are many with the whole spectrum of ideals. You are bound to find one with a similar ideology.

6. NickF

Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for all of the replies! I think the show idea is a good one jawnlobotomy (cool name by the way). I've never been to a show and I hadn't really considered the possibility of making contacts or friends there. I've got a thing I'm trying to get involved with in berkeley and I have to assume there's still a scene there. Part of the reason I'm here is that I'm a little clueless about anything regarding anarchist or punk scenes. I've been super isolated the past few years aside from a peer support forum I frequent. I appreciate all the ears I can get smokeyjoe! Also, sorry for replying so late. My grandmas been in the hospital and things have been really crazy the past week or so.

7. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

Hey, no problem man. I suspect everyone here understands how life can throw you for a loop sometimes. And I hear you about being isolated, if there's an urban version of a hermit I'm probably it. Main thing that brought me here was trying to find a place where I could discuss anarchy without it turning into a big flame war.

Let me know how the Berkley thing turns out. That place definitely has a rep for fostering anarchist-minded communities.

8. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Hey, I'm a bit late to the party, here, but if you're interested in commune life, WWOOFing is a good way to start making connections in those sorts of communities. It stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. You have to pay a yearly membership fee, but it's very cheap, and it puts you in touch with farms all over the world. It's a work trade thing, and you'll meet all sorts of people who live the homestead/commune lifestyle.

Here's the website if anyone reading this is interested:
    www.wwoof.net/

I did it for a few months, and I highly recommend it. Awesome experiences, awesome people, does wonders for your emotional well being, too. Of course, I don't know how severe your mental health issues may be. I hope you figure out what is best for you.
    Of course, there's other ways to get involved with communes and homesteads, but this is a really good way to dip your toes into these sorts of communities and start making connections/learning basic farm skills.
    Whatever you decide to do, I hope things are getting better for you, man :)

9. NickF

Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for the ideas everyone? Unfortunately I don't think I'll be using any of them because my mom died yesterday, 2 days after my grandma. I think I'll need to stay here with my dad, at least for awhile. I really appreciate all the well wishes and help.

10. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Holy wow. That's big. Sending you lots of support. Here if you ever need to talk.

11. NickF

Jun 2, 2015

Thank you, Its been a pretty bad week. I've been kind of estranged from my family for a long time and I'll have to work on fixing those relationships. You've got some interesting threads here that I've been wanting to post on so Ill be on here a little more after things calm down. Thank you for the support

12. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    You're welcome any time. Take care, dude.

13. NickF

Jun 2, 2015

If anyone wants to message through here or email or something you can send me a message. I've got a lot of boring stuff to take care of over the next week and I could use more people to talk to. It doesn't have to be about heavy stuff, just chat. Ideally I'd like a new pen pal or someone to text with, but I'd need to talk with you for awhile to make sure you aren't going to track me down and steal my organs.