Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchic bushcraft / primitive living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anarchoyuppie, Nov 10, 2015.

1. anarchoyuppie

anarchoyuppie New Member New Member

Nov 10, 2015

I'm a yuppie living in the GTA and I want to break free. I am about to lose my job and am sick of the capitalist grind / job interview bullshit. I have a career in IT - I love the work but I hate the companies / clientele that I have to work with and for. If you are a consultant (where most of the work is drifting) most of them eventually have you working for the cops or some extremely evil companies. The job interview nonsense is dishonest and ruthless. You have to be a professional liar to get a job that isn't min. wage and living in the city (where all of the work is) is too expensive unless you're willing to sell your soul completely. Plus it's all moving into the so-called "Cloud" soon anyway so I figure I have about 5 years of "valuable" work left in me anyways.

I am looking for ways to escape this nonsense, I was thinking of wilderness survival - getting away from the city entirely and living off the land. It's hard to do, and dangerous - especially in winter. I'm trying to ease into it somewhat and go slowly, doing research and practicing whenever I can. Most of the information out there is found in the so-called 'prepper' community, unfortunately these are all crazy right-wing Alex Jones types who respect the law far too much for their advice not to be somewhat questionable (although it is useful!) I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in a different direction. One thing i've always wondered, where do Earth First / ELF types gain their knowledge? Do they have their own set of resources they use? Their own literature, perhaps? I haven't found any. I'm assuming not from some crazy right-wingers bitching about climate change activists :)

The way I see it, if I ended up homeless and wanted to try this strategy I would want to have the following (long-term) goals:

1. Take my life back - live my day to day life working for myself rather than someone else's profit. Consumerism is a drug that i've depended on for far too long and it's impossible to be an innocent person while paying taxes and working for evil corporations.
    2. Learn to survive with no money - erect my own shelter, whether temporary or permanent (or several temporary permanent shelters), forage or grow my own food, make my own tools, etc.
    3. Avoid detection - I've never lived on the street, no idea how to survive there and it's the arena of state power no matter what! The best self-defense I could have in my situation is the ability to evade capture, living in the middle of a huge forest would help ensure that, especially if I moved around a lot. Also no surveillance cameras and tree cover would hinder satellite imagery!

Short-term I want to simply learn / practice primitive living and bushcraft skills while I work on GTFO of the city and into a cheaper area. Long-term thinking being around a small town (temporary work, supplies, emergency needs) near crown land. Such areas are usually enormous, but the security must be less lax in those areas than in the city, for obvious reasons.

Would love to hear of anyone elses experiences (if any) doing (or trying) something like this!

2. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Check out squattheplanet.com! Awesome forum with tons and tons of resources regarding travel, alternative housing, squatting, alternative lifestyles, wilderness survival, etc. It's a forum of nomads and anarchists who live or aspire to live outside of the system as much as possible. It played a big role in getting me out of the daily grind and onto the road. There are quite a few options out there, really.
    Have you considered building a cob house or a yurt, investing in some chickens or goats, and starting a homestead? Maybe traveling around the country in a converted bus? Be thoughtful about your decision. The options are many.

3. anarchoyuppie

anarchoyuppie New Member New Member

Nov 10, 2015

Hey, this look great! Thanks for the link, i'm checking it out right now! :)

4. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Enjoy it! Keep brainstorming :)

5. LIVE_FREE

LIVE_FREE Active Member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Male
    Ontario, Canada  Canada
    Did you break free!? :D

6. 363

363 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
  7. deadwords

deadwords Member New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    CA, United States  United States
    A couple years ago I was dealing with a lot of stuff in my personal life and as a distraction from my day-to-day, I took up learning wilderness survival as a hobby. I learned a lot from reading the SAS Survival Guide and from YouTube. This was back before I drifted toward the anarchist side of things though. Like you mentioned, the majority of individuals that teach wilderness survival techniques are the crazy right wing types, but there's a lot of good information to be found. I'm not familiar with any leftist survival content, but I might get back into learning skills again and would like to find some more leftist sources, rather than supporting right wingers through YouTube views. I never heard of squattheplanet.com (mentioned by nodogs_nomasters) but I'll definitely be checking it out.

I know this post is late, but I hope things are going better for you.

8. Spasmolytic

Spasmolytic Member Forum Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Uppsala, Sweden  Sweden
    updates plz, how did this project turn out?