Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Retirement for Anarchists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 363, Dec 17, 2014.

1. 363

363 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    I am a 30 year old English teacher in Washington state, USA, and my district offers a pension plan. After reading into it, I have selected a retirement option that gives me choice about how to allocate my money into various growth plans. I do not feel it's right to blindly send my money to an investment board which only looks at corporate success as a reason to invest. I am not comfortable making a retirement for myself by allowing my money to be invested in corporations that profit from making other people's lives worse. This is against my ethics. Even the "socially responsible balanced plan" invests in many fortune 500 scumpanies, including oil companies. Not cool.

What is a sustainable/ethical way to invest and prepare for old age?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

2. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

That's the problem, a lot of investing and all that usury tends to be of questionable ethics at best. You might be best off having a kid. Say you get lucky and retire at 60, if you have one now, they'll be 30 then. Chances are they'll have a career by then, so they can support you somewhat. You might have to get a part-time job, remember your kid's only 30 in this scenario. They might even have a family, in which case you can always spend time with your grandkids and help out around the house, which will be needed. Chances are you'll retire later than that, though. That will just make your situation all the better!
    Other than that, you could try investing in currency exchange, but that's risky, hard to plan, and not that great.
    Whatever you do, remember inflation. Sticking a bit of each paycheck under your mattress will get you nowhere.
    t. took like two AP economics classes in high school and squeaked out D's in each

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Even if you don't invest your money, just letting some money in your bank account contributes to the capitalist system, because they use everyone's money to make loans and then make profit out of it. Investing money is almost the same.

I think it's just a personnal choice. Working class people already have a hard time surviving and paying bills, so i wouldn't blame anybody for making retirement plans for their future and their kids even if it is a bit "unethical". I haven't done that yet, but i understand that many people are forced to. Sometimes we just don't have choice to make unethical choices if we want a decent life

4. JawnLobotomy

JawnLobotomy Active Member Forum Member

Jun 25, 2012

Hey 363, I feel the same way; as if there is no (or very little choice) in the decision you are privy to make. Globalization, market speculation, and de-regulation are huge killers when it comes to trying to find companies that will invest your money ethically, seeing as the capitalist regime's main goal is to maximize profits (tow the bottom line) for shareholders who have very little sympathy when it comes between the choice of making money any way they can and your feelings about how they do so. The change would have to start inherently at the system's roots and not with just trying to snake out the most ethical way according what they have provided you with (which ethically, is not much at all).

That being said I would figure the best way to create an ethical portfolio for retirement is to do just that. Seek help from a financial advisor and ask he or she to help you find ethical, green companies and start-ups which do not exploit the systems that these multi-nationals or fortune 500's do. I'm sure there has to be companies which need capital (which your investment would provide) to enact change within the system, and could provide you with a nice return over your 30 years (that's a long time as far as investment goes). The only way to change their system is to invest your money in places you would feel comfortable that will give everyone a chance at equality, cost-of-living wages, and the like, and one that helps save the world in ways that these un ethical creeps and mouth-breathers are unwilling to provide to the world which gave them the chance to be alive in the first place!

Great question and I hope this helps with the struggle!

5. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

I think I've said this before, but as long as capitalism exists, you'll have to feed into it to a degree
    The only thing you can really do is minimise that.

6. 363

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    Thank you all for your input, as this is not a light decision to make.

I get that people born into a capitalist society are faced with very few ways to avoid feeding it. Every dollar I spend is done so thoughtfully in an effort to stay aligned with my ethics; however, there are situations where I am given no "good" option. I work to minimize this as much as I can.

I like JawnLobotomy's thoughts about investing in specific companies, but I'm wondering how much attention I can apply to that kind of research and maintenance. A financial advisor is a good call.

How about investing in precious metals? Are there ethical concerns related to that?

7. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Precious metals is brimming with sleazeballs and the price of gold can't really be counted on to keep above inflation always, but it's not the worst decision you could make. Avoid Goldline, they have a long-running sponsorship deal with Glenn Beck and a few other affiliated right wing pundits. It's sleazier than I make it sound.
    But you really should consult with a financial advisor for this sort of thing. There's so much to keep track of and plan, you're not going to be able to do it yourself. Careful, advisory firms like to have long term relationships with their clients, you might come in for a one-time consultation and end up getting an annual deal without knowing it. It's what happened to my mother. Getting suprised with a hefty bill for financial advice you didn't want could really fuck you over.

8. 363

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    Shit! I'll look into that some more. Over the years, I have bought a few ounces of gold and silver as a long-term back-up, and yes, the prices have not been consistent with inflation. My thought is that metals are an international currency and not tied to the dollar, the euro, etc. and therefore less affected by national market fuck-ups. The other advantage is that I can buy them from a local coin shop and have a bar of gold in hand, rather than some certificate or stock chart telling me what I have.

In 2012-2013 I spent a year living and teaching in Burma which had a complete economic meltdown in 1988. The leader at the time, Ne Win, acting on superstition and advice from an astrologer, changed all the bank notes into values divisible by 9, as this is an auspicious number. This triggered the collapse, the currency was demonetized, and all bank accounts reached equality: 0. Everyone was fucked.

These days, the Burmese do not trust their currency and invest in gold, jewels, and land for improved security. I guess I'll ask my next financial advisor about that ;)