Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Computer operating system liberation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nasuga, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Nasuga

Nasuga New Member New Member

Sep 6, 2013

Hey, I'm new on the block and slowly learning about the Anarchist ideology. To get back on topic, this might be a little technical for some but how many people actually liberated themselves (as much as you can) from Microsoft's monopoly on computers and use an operating system developed and maintained by the community for the community like GNU/Linux? How about open-source software like Libreoffice (which could practically replace Microsoft Word)? Personally I use a mix of FreeBSD and OpenSUSE. FreeBSD is maintained by an organisation which licensed the operating system under a more liberal license (BSD) compared to a more restrictive (GPL) but still opensource. I hope I didn't get too complicated for some. I find it interesting how some organisations have Anarchist(maybe not correct term) tendencies and probably don't even recognise it.

- Nasuga

2. Rosetta Stoned2

Rosetta Stoned2 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 16, 2011

uhhhhh vat? :'(

3. predic

predic Member Forum Member

Feb 11, 2010

opensource is not automatically good, it can be good for NSA too. who really checked code? some NSA programers? ordinary users are not professional programers, we believe to this or that people and news, is it really so, we don't know.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/o ... gain/11079
    "What the heck are open-source and the government agency in charge of electronic snooping doing together?" Well, actually they're doing what they've always done: working together. Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux), for instance, the standard for secured Linux, started as an NSA project.
    Open-source is no more anti-government than it was Communist when Bill Gates famously mangled opposition to intellectual property laws into Communism. Open source is a method of software development that beleives that's its better to openly share the work than to keep it to yourself. Given open-source's track record and that even Microsoft has figured out that some open-source is good for business, it's no wonder that even the secret agencies have long embraced open source.
    In short, while the idea of open-source and spies working hand in hand may blow your mind, it's actually been doing on for years. Indeed the U.S. federal government and open source have a long history together.

check leadership of Open Source Software Institute, a U.S.-based non-profit organization:
    http://www.oss-institute.org/about-ossi ... ms/summary

4. exalted

exalted Member New Member

Dec 22, 2013

I use to use OpenSuse, but I went for the less technical Ubuntu studio. I try not to judge, but sometimes when I see a person talking about all their anti-capitalist beliefs, but they're using windows or a mac, I just can't take them seriously. I'm not talking about anti-technology like some of the anarchist philosophers, but I believe that at least using free open source operating systems are at least not coporate money making objectives (mostly, Novell is a corperation that handles SUSE, but I'm not sure about their business plan, same with Ubuntu being handeled by that (idr the name)). But anyway, it is a bit more of a learning curve to use opensource programs and operating systems effectively, but knowledge is power! I have been struggling with formatting changes on LibreOffice of late though. But I feel better just dealing with it.

5. predic

predic Member Forum Member

Feb 11, 2010

ubuntu started long time ago to do the same what apple is doing, spying people for advertising, and it can be used by NSA too.
    http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerne ... nical.html

I can add also that SELinux is also created by NSA.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
    The United States National Security Agency (NSA), the original primary developer of SELinux, released the first version to the open source development community under the GNU GPL on December 22, 2000.[3] The software merged into the mainline Linux kernel 2.6.0-test3, released on 8 August 2003. Other significant contributors include Network Associates, Red Hat, Secure Computing Corporation, Tresys Technology, and Trusted Computer Solutions. Experimental ports of the FLASK/TE implementation have been made available via the TrustedBSD Project for the FreeBSD and Darwin operating systems.
    From NSA Security-enhanced Linux Team:
    "NSA Security-enhanced Linux is a set of patches to the Linux kernel and some utilities to incorporate a strong, flexible mandatory access control (MAC) architecture into the major subsystems of the kernel.....

6. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    please don't confuse anarchism with primitivism... :ecouteurs:

7. Phobos

Phobos New Member New Member

Apr 28, 2013

Try learning to write codes by yourself. You should start with Assembly and instruction sets of Asus and Intel processors to make a bootloader and from there you can build up something new. The government will only track you when you are connected. Try something to block unexpected connections from outside.