Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Do you use GNU/Linux?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Utopian, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Utopian

Utopian Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 9, 2012

Members here are very anti-capitalistic,so I'm wondering do you use gnu/linux?

What is GNU/Linux?
    GNU/Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution.

So its FREE to download and use,FREE AS IN FREEDOM,Mostly NON-PROFIT OS.

Also check why is linux better?
    www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Most used linux os is:
    www.ubuntu.com/

Also im writing an thread why you must use gnu/linux

2. Rodger

Rodger New Member New Member

Jul 23, 2012

If it were a totally non-profit system there wouldn't be sense to develop it. They monitize it somehow.
    Btw, I don't use it ))

3. affirmedatheist

affirmedatheist Member New Member

Jul 27, 2012

Most Linux-based companies do so by offering support contracts (Red Hat being an exception as in addition to general call support etc, their updates require you to pay - although their development branch, Fedora *is* free; besides which, the updates themselves are GPL from my understanding; This loophole is the reason CentOS exists).

Canonical is trying to spin *buntu as an app ecosystem (to offer paid apps on a store) but it doesn't seem to be taking.

It's hard to manage a fully paid distro (there are a few around, but they're relatively small) when Linux's code is FOSS (aka, if someone wants to, they can fork the code and develop the fork (and not even change the code).

EDIT: forgot to add, I'm typing this from a 64-bit LMDE install.

4. nixfit

nixfit New Member New Member

May 17, 2012

I ran Linux on a number of my machines between 07 and 2010. I wholly believe that any given Linux distribution is superior for a host of reasons besides the obvious political ones for we anarchs inherent in supporting the open source software movement and philiosophy. The Linux vs. Windows debate has been raging for decades now, so I'm not going to add to it by going all Linux fanboy. I will say that I was forced to go back to use Windows for a couple of years and did not like it as much at all. Though I'm not going to claim that "Windows is shit" or anything, and certainly I never given Microsoft a dime of my money so I'm not about to talk shit on anybody who uses Windows via a freegan method. I'm just saying, why pirate a suboptimal operating system, or worse yet pay for it when you can get LInux (or BSD for that matter) totally fucking free and clear.
    Recently I was able to start using Linux again, and basically I'm stoked. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's as idiot proof for average users as Windows or whatever Apple is hocking these days. It's one of those things that assumes the user has at least some degree of intellignece. This has led to the misperception that people who run it are "arrogant Linux elitists" or "geeks." Kind of the same shit as people believing the Crimethinc. collective are "elitist bourgoise anarchists" or whatever. I'm hardly a rocket scientist or "coder" or whatever. I didn't even own my own computer until 06, and prior to that I hardly ever used one since I was in prison for eight years. I'm just a crusty old punk guy.
    Btw, my favorite Linux distribution is Slackware, though because the Glorious Anarchist Revolution has yet to sweep away the institution of wage slavery...I have to work all the fucking time and I don't have time yet to do an install and configuration of Slackware again. I figured I'd load something that just worked out of the box, so I slapped Linux Mint 13 KDE on instead. And yeah, amazingly the shit just worked fine from the door. So far I only had to iron out one hitch via the command line, and that took all of three minutes. So yeah, pretty much it just works.

5. Lucien

Lucien Member Forum Member

Dec 1, 2012

Running Linux since 1997 (RedHat5.0 Hurricane).
    Glad to see it improved rapidly.
    I'm not reaaly a pc-geek so the first years I wondered why the heel I ever switched to Linux... the early distributions were damn hard to work with in my opinion.
    But on the other hand, I re-installed Windows several times and it took only a couple days for it to crash. So each time I went back to Linux.

Right now I'm running Kubuntu.

6. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

Yeah, I run linux.
    I run arch. Unfortunately, I still have to dual boot windows for school bullshit.

7. iamtheliquor699

iamtheliquor699 New Member New Member

Sep 5, 2015

Yup, in a virtual machine though, Kali, Lubuntu, and Ubuntu. I have Big Brother Windows 10 as my main operating system.

8. anticivpunk

anticivpunk Member Forum Member

Aug 30, 2015

I dual-boot Windows 10 with UbuntuMATE on my laptop and I also dual-boot Windows 10 with openSUSE on my desktop.

9. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

i still use only Windows 7, never "upgrading" to windows 10, and microsoft is never getting a damn penny from me again. Windows 10 spies on you, it can activate your webcams and mics whenever microsoft pleases without telling you and automatically sends all of your data to microsoft, so watch out if you pirate anything, participate in peaceful protests or write petitions.
    I'm going to convert to linux when 7 gets outdated, I'm holding off for as long as possible because linux users are automatically targeted for mass surveillance, hope you fine folks keep that in mind. :S

10. anticivpunk

anticivpunk Member Forum Member

Aug 30, 2015

I've used Linux for years and years now. All I know is that typically Linux comes out of the box with many ports that are open. People don't typically try to hack other linux machines unless something really personal went down. Windows machines are kind of secure, while Mac computers are very, very unsecure.

My recommendation is to dual-boot linux now. I upgraded to Windows 10 and noticed my webcam light stayed on all the time. Then I noticed my mouse was moving on it's own sometimes, like in a very taunting fashion. I put black electrical tape over the webcam, but it still turns on by itself which signifies from my years of experience with computers that, A) The webcam is going bad, B) The webcam has been turned on through hacking methods which has scrambled it's physical memory, making it leave itself on or C) A combination of both A and B.

Word of advice, no matter what Operating System you use, keep your webcams and mics unplugged when you're not using them unless they're built in like they are on my laptop. If you're using Windows, the very best antivirus I can recommend you use is BitDefender which you can pirate on Pirate Bay. You want a very good antivirus, a very good firewall and a very good antimalware program, but BitDefender is the best security suite out there that will take care of most if not all of those problems. Although I should remind you it is a software firewall, not a hardware firewall. A hardware firewall coupled with software firewalls is the best way to keep both your network and your computers on your network secure. Also, longer passwords are better than short passwords with combinations of lower case, upper case and symbols. The longer the better, because brute force attacks try every possible combination of password by calculating every possible combination from shortest length to longest. Typically they start with three characters and move on up. By the time you get to say 10 or 12 characters it's taking weeks and beyond it takes months, even years for a successful brute force attack. I recommend making your password a passphrase for everything you use after you've made sure everything secure, such as punkrockersknowbest2015 which is 23 characters long and would take an impossible amount of time to crack.

It's quite easy to dual boot Linux, but trust me, the government keeps every extremist blog and website on file, so if you've ever declared on social media you're organizing a protest or attending one or you run a website or blog that is extremist in any way, in our case anarchist extremist, you are already being monitored. Might as well prepare now and get used to dual-booting linux, but it gets better and better every year as opposed to Windoze bullshit.