Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Book on History of Punk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Commander X, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Commander X

Commander X New Member New Member

May 29, 2011

Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation of a good book on the history of Punk? I found "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk" when I Googled, anybody read that?

2. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

I very strongly recommend these three books written by Ian Glapser:
    "Burning Britain" about the second wave of punk in Britain (GBH, Chaos UK, Discharge, Abrasive Wheels, Rejects, Upstarts, Exploited and so on).
    "The Day the Country Died" about British anarcho-punk from the early 80's (Crass, Antisect, Conflict, Subhumans, Alternative, Toxic Waste, Dirt, Omega Tribe, The Mob, Peni...).
    "Trapped in a scene" about British hardcore and early crust punk from 85 to 90 (Doom, Heresy, Ripcord, Extreme Noise Terror, Sacrilege, Axegrinder, Deviated Instinct, Stupids, Hellbastard...).
    The three books contain interviews with all the bands with pictures.

:thumbsup:

3. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    American Hardcore was alright, if you take it with a fist-sized grain of salt.
    Treat Me Like Dirt is a really good, in depth look at the really early Toronto punk scene.

I haven't really found very many good books on the history of punk as a movement. I've found some really good band biography books though; I, Shithead (D.O.A.) by Joey Shithead, The Story of Crass by George Berger, Husker Du: The Noise Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock by Andrew Earles, Personality Crisis: Warm Beer and Wild Times by Chris Walter were all really good. Also, like crustybeckham said, Burning Britain and The Day The Country Died are both awesome.

4. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

The book "Footnote" by Boff Whalley (Chumbawamba) is a realy good band biography, with some great material about the development of punk rock in provincial Britain.