Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Probe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

Does anyone know any good Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes?
    They should taste good (obviously), not have much ingredients and be easy to make....

I'm not vegan i just want to try it out...

2. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Boiled Carrots: Carrots, water, salt (optional)

Boil carrots in water until tender. Add salt if preferred though this might mask that simple flavour.

Seriously, I saw this recipe in a zen buddhist recipe book. Anyway, there a million site you can search for vegan recipes. Falafal is good but a pain to make without food processor. Plenty good indian recipes are vegan.

3. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Just google search "Vegan Recipes" or something. Probably a much more beneficial idea then asking here.

4. Rhube

Rhube Active Member Forum Member

Feb 5, 2010

I MADE AWESOME VEGAN SCONES A FEW WEEKS AGO.
    They're not exactly low on ingredients, but damnit, they were delicious.

Makes 12-15 2″ Scones

2 Cups All- Purpose Flour
    2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    Zest of 1 Lemon
    1/3 Cup Earth Balance Margarine
    3 Tbs Maple Syrup (or regular sugar)
    1/2 Cup Soymilk
    2 Tbs Lemon Juice

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl (flour through zest). Mix the wet ingredients together (syrup, soymilk and lemon juice). Using a pastry cutter or a fork, blend the Earth Balance into the dry ingredients until there are no chunks of margarine left and the mixture looks like damp sand.

Pour in the wet ingredients and mix with your hands to form a soft dough. Only mix until just combined, adding more flour if the mixture is too wet. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to a slab 3/4″ thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass with about a 2″ diameter, cut out your scones. Press the scraps of dough together, roll out again, and continue cutting scones until you’ve used up your dough.
    Transfer scones to a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper, or a non-stick mat. Brush the tops with a mixture of soymilk, powdered sugar and lemon juice.
    Bake at 400º F for 12-15 minutes. If the scones aren’t lightly brown after 15 minutes, transfer to the broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, to brown the tops if desired. Remove to a cooling rack.

I skipped the lemon zest, and lemon juice, as I didn't have any lemons.
    I meant to mix in cranberries and raspberries, but I forgot to, so I just put them on top, and underneath the scones before baking. (I cut up frozen cranberries, and dusted them in quick-dissolve sugar. Regular suger is fine, too, or icing sugar. I just found this random package of a couple teaspoons of quick-dissolve sugar, so I used it.)
    I'm kind of an improvise-y kind of person. Whatever works.
    Oh, and I used sugar instead of maple syrup, because maple syrup is expensive, canadian proccessed sugar is vegan, and sugar is a better complement to the tart fruits I was using. Also, I couldn't find my stevia. And either way, sugar complements better.
    Also! I used almond milk, 'cause it's not gross like soymilk. I don't buy soymilk. It makes my mouth feel filmy, and it has PHYTOESTROGENS. GROSS.

Anyway.
    They were a lovely mix between cake-y scones, and the more stiff, baking-soda scones. They were really good.

As far as easier, faster recipes go, I often keep rice vermicelli, and vegetable stock on hand so I can make a snack after work.
    You can chop up some greens like bok choy sprouts, kale, or even lettuce and throw them in before removing from the stove. And lentil sprouts go well.
    Lentil sprouts go well in anything, though.
    Also, mushrooms, or any kind of vegetables you have on hand. (Other than carrots, and the like. They take ages to cook, so I starve for longer. D:)

Speaking of sprouts, another vegan staple is sprouts.
    They're waywayway better if you sprout them yourself, so just get a glass jar, and a small square of mesh, and an elastic.
    You can sprout most beans and things. (Except one that is poisonous if sprouted. Pinto, maybe? It's one you probably wouldn't think you sprout anyway.)
    I like green lentils, and chickpeas the best.
    So just put a couple tablespoons of dry beans in the jar, fill with water, and put the mesh on top with the elastic. Let them soak for 6-8 hours. (Not all beans fit this time frame, I'd say look it up.) Drain, through the mesh, and rinse a couple times.
    Them you just leave the jar out, and rinse them once a day for like, 3 days.
    And them you have sprouts to snack on on their own, or to put in sandwiches, soups, or many other dishes. ;D

That's all I can think of now.
    Just remember to check your ingredients on the soup stock, because sometimes they have animal products in them Or MSG, and that just makes it taste like shit. And palm oil. It's harvested from the rain forest, and I don't support clear cutting such a valuable eco-system. I dunno if you care about that, but if you do, then just watch out for it.
    And check the manufacturing process of the company that makes the sugar you use. If they use bone char to filter, the sugar isn't vegan.

/long post.

5. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Barbecued vegetables is super easy and very tasty, just oil them up good using for example olive oil, and salt them. Put on the grill and turn sometimes :ecouteurs:

6. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, chickpeas... Oil in pan, fresh ginger, chili, onion... add cumin, tumeric, coriander, add tin chopped tomatoes, simmer 5 minutes, add loads chick peas and simmer away - Chana Masala. Garnish with fresh mint and coriander.

Erm, garnish everything with fresh mint and coriander.

Sag Aloo - same except potato/spinach instead of tomato/chickpeas, enough iron to keep you going for a month.

I put up recipe for Biriani sometime, and maybe thai/malayan curry if I got time.

7. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

Chickpeas or beans that aren't red or black (nope, it's not racist food, it's just that some beans give off color and makes it all brown or gray), a can of pineapple in pieces, banana if you want, soy cream, curry and salt. Put it all in a pot and let it boil for a little while, taste to see how much curry and salt you need. Serve with rice or what you like. This is a big hit even among meateaters that doesn't fancy veggie food a lot. My propudest invention next to vegan glutenfree scones :D

8. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Aye, bananas. Oil and sugar in pan, lightly fry sliced bananas, pour in some decent spirit and set it ablaze...

... I should try this with pineapple sometime, or maybe mango.

9. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Biriani: In pan, low heat, oil, fresh ginger/chili, tumeric, coriander, cumin, onion, cashews, cardamon pods, cinnamon stick. Exact amounts is up to you, init, experiment. Add mushrooms, peppers, green beans, anything else you fancy, bit of soya milk, salt, pepper. Leave it cooking, low heat. Meanwhile boil basmati rice, lots water, about 15 minutes. Drain and add to pan, add some chopped fresh tomato and three tons of fresh mint and coriander, maybe cucumber, mix it around a bit, eat.

10. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Thai/Malayan curry: In pan oil, fresh ginger/chili, tumeric, coriander, cumin, onion, lemon grass. Add coconut milk, soya milk, lime juice, tin chopped tomatoes, pineapple, salt, pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add whatever veg you want, potatoes, mushroom, green beans, peppers, brocolli, spinach, chickpeas, lentils, whatever you fancy, and simmer til they cooked. Add coconut cream... and maybe fresh mint and coriander, if you want, init.

11. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Bulgarian Potato Pie, not sure how authentic this is, though: Slice potatoes and fry. When brown put them aside. Add onions, fry for bit, add jar of tomato paste (Bulgarian/Turkish, not that Italian rubbish), bottle of white wine, lots of paprika, salt, pepper, simmer for time. Add anything else you fancy, chickpeas, mushrooms and red lentils work, but anything really. Simmer for time. Put layer of potatoes in pot, add half sauce, rest of potatoes, rest of sauce, top with breadcrumbs, in oven at low heat for about hour.

Ok, that's enough, I best go eat something, init.

12. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

This is my favourite dish, it's practically Lebanese but oh my tastes pretty damn good... You do not need to follow the ingredient amounts, add all you like. Very easy to make and definitely very tasty. I HIGHLY recommend this, in fact, go make it now, you only need parsley, diced wheat, tomato, onions, olive oil, lemon juice and some salt and pepper, cut them all up then mix them and enjoy.

3 bunches finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    2-3 tablespoons of diced wheat
    1 chopped firm tomato
    1/2 onion or 2 scallions chopped
    1/2 cup extra Virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Prepare the chopped parsley and set aside.
    In a large bowl, mix Bulgur (diced wheat), chopped tomatoes, chopped onions/scallions with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add to them the parsley and olive oil and mix, adjusting seasoning by adding more oil and lemon if desired.
    Serve cold.

13. Bunny

Bunny Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 13, 2010

This one takes a while to make but its tasty and keeps well (so lots of leftovers).
    Sweet Chili Lime Tofu
    3/4 cup quinoa
    Zest from one lime (separate this into two equal parts)
    2 cardamom pods and 1 small stick of cinnamon (both optional)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/3 cups water
    Sauce (see below)
    1 1/4 once block of tofu
    1 bunch kale
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    Sauce:
    3 tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 3/4 tablespoons lime juice
    lime zest (see above)
    1/2 teaspoon red chili
    1/4 salt
    4 mint leaves chopped finely.
    Combine the quinoa, lime zest, spices, salt and water into a pot (with lid). Bring to a boil and then the reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes then turn the stove off. Let steam for 10 minutes. While it cooks prepare the sauce by whisking all the ingredients together. Drain the tofu and cut it up, use thin small slices. Heat up tofu in a pan (no oil) in till they turn golden brown then flip them. When golden and warm put them in a bowl and pour the sauce on them. Cut the kale up. Put the quinoa on the bottom and the kale and tofu on top.

14. Rhube

Rhube Active Member Forum Member

Feb 5, 2010

VeganYumYum?

15. trashbastard

trashbastard Member Forum Member

Apr 8, 2010

boil water put noodles in while its boiling wait till there soft then eat up!!! lol thats all i eat sometimes i fry em in some olive oil its fucking great... also fried ramen is the shit just get oriental

16. Ivanovich

Jan 31, 2010

Yes, I know this one. I think the book calls it Taboulah. Very good in summer.

17. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

Forgot to mention its name, silly me. =P Yeah, it's actually called taboulé with the e as in the French é. I like it year-round, especially after a day or two in the fridge with little or no lemon juice and tomatoes. It's pretty much an every day dish, just like fries.

18. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

Just remembered this super easy to make and awesomely good food:
    Preheat the oven to about 200-225 degrees C and while it's getting warm prepare the rest. In a kinda big ovenware place an oven paper (to save dishes), spread out nachochips on it. In a bowl mix chickpeas, taccosauce, green chili and cream cheese/vegan cream cheese. Spread it over the nachos. On top of it put some cheese/vegan melty cheese. Bake in the oven until it gets some color on the cheese (if it's vegan cheese you won't get much color) about 10-15 minutes. Eat and enjoy. Who ever said vegan food has to be healthy? :p

19. easy e

easy e Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 30, 2010

rather than diving headfirst into becoming a vegan after spending my entire 20 years as a carnivore, i decided to start with becoming a vegetarian. it's going much better this time, but i'd like some good vegetarian recipes, myself.

20. Anom

Dec 21, 2009

In all recepies containing soy cheese, soy cream or something like that, just switch to regular cheese or cream or what not instead. Waffles and pancakes are nice and easy vegatarian meals that are difficult to make vegan so enjoy that before you descide to go vegan :) Also i used to while i still ate it grill haloumi cheese along with vegetables, wich is very good. I think you'll get better food if you look at vegan recepies and add what you want instead of looking at meaty recepies and removing something wich usually leaves you with potatoes and maybe a sauce.