Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

any Science Fiction fans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bananaman, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Malignance_is_bliss

Malignance_is_bliss Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Jun 10, 2010

I've been on a downloading binge since I got an external hard-drive, can anybody recommend any good scifi movies, besides the obvious ones? (links to torrents are welcome too :D )

2. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

I like a lot of science-fiction. Although not all his stuff is sci-fi, I love Vonnegut and most the books of his that I have read. Haldeman's The Forever War is absolutely amazing as is the already mentioned The Dispossessed. Very obvious others that I enjoyed were 1984, Brave New World and WE. Atwood's Oryx and Crake was really good and I have its sister novel The Year of the Flood waiting to be read. I also really enjoyed Wyndham's Day of the Triffids and The Midwich Cuckoos. Finally, I recommend Matheson's I am Legend about 500 times over the film.

3. The Freakboi

The Freakboi Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 8, 2011

I'm a big fan of cyberpunk, myself. I love films like Robocop, Twelve Monkeys, Hardware, Videodrome aswel as tons of cyberpunk anime like Ghost in the Shell and Akira. Also, William Gibson is one of my all time favourite novelists and H.R. Giger, who was a huge influence on cyberpunk's look, is my favourite artist ever.

I do like some other sci-fi stuff too; Firefly was good, I really liked Star Trek Deep Space 9, some episodes of TNG, and the original Trek wins on cheese-factor. I also tend to find myself reading alot of sci-fi short stories, often by Harlan Ellison or Isaac Asimov.

4. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Found myself a bit disappointed with Neuromancer when I read it. A bit too fantastical, if you see what I mean. Last sci-fi book that really struck me was Flowers for Algernon. A real emotional, philosophical and excellently written book. John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos was another I read recently and was great.

5. The Freakboi

The Freakboi Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 8, 2011

It actually took me a couple of reads to get into it. The first time around I didn't like how long he took describing every detail of this futuristic world. The second time, I really got into it.

6. apples&onions

apples&onions Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2012

I'm a Dick head, all the way! I love soft sci fi like Le Guin and other authors of speculative fiction whether it be sci fi or fantasy. Especially realistic post collapse novels such as George R Stewart's "Earth Abides" or Jean Hegland's "Into The Forest" for obvious reasons. The later being one of my all time favorite books.