Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Off grid or anarcho communities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IamMe, Nov 3, 2013.

1. IamMe

IamMe Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2012
     United Kingdom
    hi all im wondering if any one know of any off grid or anarcho communities around the world. do any one have any experiences living in such a communitie or even trying to start their own. please leave a disscription of the communitie.

im intrested in this topic because i really want to start living in such a communitie.

one communitie that is close to where i live is Tipi valley heres a disscription of the place on the web site diggers and dreamers.

To be honest, we’re a bunch of hippies, some of us ‘originals’. Tipi Valley is high in the Welsh hills, on 200 acres that we have bought bit by bit over 35 years. Our oldest land has already reverted to temperate rainforest.
    The idea is that we are part of nature, living within nature. Thus all our homes are low-impact dwellings such as tipis, yurts, domes and thatched or turf-roofed round houses.
    We are a village, not a commune, and everyone is responsible for their own economy. We do not have regular business meetings, and we never vote. It works by consensus and personal relationships. Dogs are not welcome. And cats have a very negative impact on the environment.
    VISITING: We have a large communal TIPI called the ‘Big Lodge’ where we gather and where guests may usually stay to experience the lifestyle first-hand. Bring bedding, roll-mat to sleep on (we use sheepskins) & food; also a torch & candles.You look after yourself,cooking over the open fire in the Big Lodge, fetching water from the well, gathering firewood, and cutting rushes for the floor. We don’t want payment and we don’t run a WWOOFing scheme of work in exchange for food etc. You must provide your own food. We do not expect you to work for us other than keeping the Big Lodge a welcoming place.
    Sorry to need to have to mention this - but it is essential to poo in the shit pits provided and absolutely nowhere else! Some visitors think it is ok to poo wherever they like just because the land is so wild. But people who do that just make some villagers wish we had no visitors at all, so please please don’t do that or we might end up as a closed community! If in doubt, ask!
    Parking is very limited. If you bring your vehicle then e-mail first and I will send you a map showing where you can park. SatNav is SA32 7UQ.
    It is horribly wet sometimes, and then the ground is sodden. When the weather is wet conditions in the Big Lodge are very much more difficult and a struggle with the elements, eg drips off the tipi poles, and wet firewood = smokey fires. My advice is: don’t come when it is so wet, come another time during a drier spell, or you probably won’t enjoy it! The firewood you gather is likely to be dampish anyway unless you visit during a prolonged sunny period, so you might like to buy a wheelbarrow load of nice dry wood for £10 from Nikki up at the house.
    This web-site is kept up to date, so check just before you come for any latest information, eg in case the Big Lodge is not available.
    Village spirituality is natural, mostly expressed in chanting and drumming at the sweatlodge (sauna) and at Big Lodge get-togethers. Over 90 home births. Education at home or at local schools. It’s a survival lifestyle, 100% nature. Always take your footwear off when entering a dwelling. Most people wear wellies. In fact we’re in a prolonged period of wet weather,it is quite difficult in the Big Lodge. Arrive before dark or get very lost. It’s wild! Rik x x

the thing i like about tipi valley is the fact that your responsible for your economy and you dont have to have meetings and such. the only bad thing is that dogs are not welcome but i suppose i could get used to having a goat and some chickens in stead of a dog :D

i know that living of grid isnt helping anarchy in any active way but i personally cant handle life within the system for the rest of my life :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: and this seems the most effective way of escaping this shit hole. if i did end up living in a place such as this i could still promote anarchism buy running small class's on what anarchism is or preach it through music.
    \m/

2. IamMe

IamMe Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 29, 2012
     United Kingdom
    another well known communitie is slab city i personally dont know much about the place but ive seen some documentaries about the place and have read a bit about it heres a disscription about the place of the official web site

Slab City, also called “The Slabs” is not only RV boon-docking camping but also a place where people desert camp year-round. It is not really a city as there is no mayor, no city amenities like water, electricity, nor waste management. No one camping permanently in Slab City pay any taxes on their campsite because they are camping on it for free. This is Off-Grid-Living.

Slab City
    Slab City was formerly the U.S. Marine Corps training base called Camp Dunlap used in World War II. It was closed, buildings were deconstructed, and abandoned years ago. The ownership of the land upon which Slab City is located belongs to the California Teachers Union and is held in trust for the Teachers Retirement fund by the State of California.

The Cement Foundations that were left after the military buildings were gone, is how it has become known as “Slab City”. It is now a free camping home to many winter RV travelers, retirees, and some permanent residents who stay the summer as well. (Like us!).There are no fees to camp here. Campsite parking is on a first come/first serve basis. There is no water, sewer, trash pick-up, nor electricity. This is Boondocking territory. This is where people experiment Living Off The Grid

Slab City RVers tend to camp in groups of like-minded people and similar interests such as US Fulltime RVers, Canadian RVers, Single RV camping clubs, and even Hippies, Hobos or young train hoppers.

this place does sound cool and if i ever do go to america (which i dout it) i would have to visit this place, but it does sound hot