Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Ever get tired of being stereotyped?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grizzly The Unamed Sharp, May 8, 2013.

1. Grizzly The Unamed Sharp

Grizzly The Unamed Sharp Active Member Forum Member

Apr 11, 2013

So today while I was doing the same old at school today I helped a couple of my fellow students fill out they're library sign out papers (basically shit you gotta fill out in order to go to the library during a study hall) and the teacher noticed my doing so. He says to me "You know for punk rocker guy you're rather polite" I took it as a complement and said thank you, but also it kind of put me off aswell. I mean worse shit has happened to me for being "punk", but it seemed like a double-edged comment I suppose it's because I don't like to classify myself but also to me I feel that everybody thinks "Ow man look at that guy and how he looks, he's gotta be an ass." Honestly I like to be personable and friendly towards people, because that's how I am. But when I do this everyone is all like "wow you're not what I expected." This surprises me because I couldn't give a shit about the "look" of Punk. I just wear the occasional band/political T-shirt. I guess what I'm trying to say is it ticks me off that liking punk music means I'm this antisocial jerk. So I guess what I ask is have you ever been stereotyped (not necessarily on the topic of punk) and if so do you get fed up with it/how do you feel about it?

2. Rosetta Stoned2

Rosetta Stoned2 Active Member Forum Member

Aug 16, 2011

I wanna be stereotyped
    I wanna be classified
    Ya that tics me off too. Everybody at school thinks I do drugs and when somebody asks if I want to smoke I tell them I don't smoke. And they're like WHHHHATTT? I thought you do coke and stuff because of the music you listen to.
    And I'm like........que?
    but ya it blows dude

3. Rebellious twit

Rebellious twit Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 21, 2012

Stereotype, such a funny word and so misunderstood,

It is a sciencetific fact that everyone stereotypes, its how our brain works, our brain needs to sort things out by catergorizing stuff, if not it doesn't make sense in our heads, its how the human race have survived for centuries. so it is both a positive thing and a problem.

The problem with stereotyping is that we sometimes become ignorant against the person,

I have stereotyped people in the past and i still do, i don't do it on purpose, i find it rather annoying myself being stereotyped but the only thing you really can do is trying to just ignore the thoughts and try to break down the barrier.

4. Grizzly The Unamed Sharp

Apr 11, 2013

Yeah I hear you, everybody does it sometimes, it can't be helped. Also I realize how hackneyed my story and question was. :p

5. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

It doesn't really matter the thing is that yeah stereotypes are kinda good and kinda bad, needless to say, its a part of the human brain and perfectly normal, but we can still try to ignore the stereotypes, i know everyone who isn't among anarchists agrees that when you tell a person you know, that you want to smash the state and create a new society,build with solidarity and participation,direct democracy, they look at you and think " You are an idiot living in utopia" hell even my parents doesn't like the idea that i see myself as an anarchist but they accept my life choices so i still love them for that :)

6. Grizzly The Unamed Sharp

Apr 11, 2013

well it's not like I shout out sporadically "fuck yeah look at me man anarchism, bring down the overpower and bring back community" to no one in general like a crazed mad man :lmao: (granted it might be entertaining to do so) , it's more of the combination of the fact I'm a big guy in general which I guess gives me a lurching demeanor and that I guess it is sort of obvious I like punk music (not necessarily my political stance), where I come from it's actually a mix of personalities and backgrounds which I think is really nice, but everyone sort sects themselves off ( I guess that happens in every school) into their cliches and groups and because of this people generalize what they don't really know as you said it's human nature. Me, I like to talk to everybody, among those who know me call me Teddy Bear or Grizzly (hence the name), but back to the point, I never really saw in groups or titles the need to classify people, maybe it's because I was sort of quirky my younger years and I was ostracized as such so I didn't really know what to label people, or maybe I'm just weird lol. And yeah I remember when my parents found out what I did last voting year when I wrote on the spread sheet I refuse to partake in a governmental system where the only real choices are A and B with no none of the above option and either choice leads to the same conclusion. I would of just not voted at all, but the rents sort of annoyed me to death about it. I thought it was funny how the lady reacted when the machine said "error" and saw what I wrote. But yeah my rents were pissed at first but then they were like "okay we get it, we don't want you to vote for something you don't support, we disagree with how you see things but we still love you and respect you." I guess the outcome ended well, and I heard that my little act caused some people to write "none of the above" on their spreadsheet, so I think I accomplished something I think.

7. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

@stegosaurus
    If they tell you you`re an idiot living in utopia I suggest you stand and hold up a mirror in front of them next time. That should do it.

8. Rebellious twit

Jul 21, 2012

I'm the only Anarchist and the only Labelled "Punk" in my town, people on the streets that know of my beliefs thinks i'm a werido, ive met other anarchists and i feel quite comfortable with those around me, however i respect my parents opinion however i highly disagree with them :p , i have been having a political debate with my stephfather about he says that anarchism doesn't work i still don't believe him, he uses arguements like: "its just a dream get over it" he is a social democrat but was a punk in his youth he had other beliefs back then, i'm also the only anarchist in my family its funny having converstations with my family when we are having birthdays and how i always completely disagree with them, my mothers side is filled with liberals and conservatives while my fathers side are filled with commies :lmao: my father doesn't like my opinions so i cutted the contact to him, the only people who accepts my state of mind and my life choice is my mother and stephfather though they still disagree with me.

9. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I guess they'll probably always disagree with your beliefs and it's unlikely that you'll change theirs anytime soon, just don't let them change yours ;)

10. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Being stereotyped gets old and boring, and I still don't like getting followed around in stores and shopping malls, and I still don't liked getting stopped and interrogated by police (Who does?) but it does my heart a world of good if/when somebody had a conversation with me, and I dispell all of their beliefs/fears of what a "Punk" or "Punk Rocker" is or is supposed to be.

If I can change one person's mind in this world, and have them see beyond the clothes and the music, and accept people as individuals, I must be doing something RIGHT!