Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Cleaning Vinyl Records w/ Wood Glue !!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by punkmar77, Sep 14, 2015.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Many of you probably know about this little DIY trick but just in case..... :ecouteurs:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

2. embanterman

embanterman New Member New Member

Apr 21, 2017

That is kinda cool. Need to try it

3. MilfordWi

MilfordWi New Member New Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Male
    England, United Kingdom  United States
    I actually never knew about this wood glue cleaning technique, but then again I'm pretty new to vinyl. I'm going to have to try this.

4. Fork Me

Fork Me Active Member Forum Member

Jun 26, 2013
     United Kingdom
    I'm not new to vinyl, I'm 49 now and I started my collection aged 2 with a pile of 60s singles (and an old Dansette player) that a friend of my Dad's gave to me.

I have thousands of records. I haven't tried, this and I'm not sure I want to. This has the ptential to cause damage, vinyl could come off with the glue, any "sharp" dust will scratch tje vinyl being ripped off like that, and there's also the risk of residue from the wood glue staying in the grooves.

I just use water and a soft cloth, for stubborn stuff, I use very very diluted (a drop in a small glass of water) washing uo liquid. Works fine, takes a minute or two and you don't have to leave it overnight.

5. Charger Bullet

Charger Bullet Experienced Member Experienced member

Feb 9, 2018
    Male
    Texas, United States  United States
    This works fairly well. There really isn't any risk of damaging the record (other than getting the glue on the center label). As kids in elementary school we all poured glue on our hands and peeled it off after it dried. It's the same thing but using wood glue instead of the regular stuff and on a more rigid surface.

For really filthy records a good idea is to wash and dry both sides then use the wood glue method. I did that on a 7" bought cheap on eBay from someone that said he got at a garage sale (so you know it was really dirty) . I washed in the sink, dried it then applied wood glue. A couple of days later, it played fine and everything was good. It was the first Anthrax EP (not the lame metal band).

punkmar77 likes this.