Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

How is your scene doing? Mine's deader than shit. (NJ)

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by DEADCOP_ONaROPE, Nov 25, 2010.

1. nooneno

nooneno Member Forum Member

Jul 24, 2013

the scene in my city is good, i guess.
    the scene is incestuous. different bands trading musicians but managing to sound different?
    i went to a show and enjoyed a band smashing everyone's ears. they ended the brutal set, all the musicians changed instruments and introduced themselves as the next band. i was aghast and felt cheated; that is until they started playing and it was as if a whole new band started tearing the building apart. when that band finished two people walked away and the next band consisted of only two new people alongside the rest (-2) that were already up there. i really enjoyed that show though.
    i was invited to a show last night and she ran down a list of the bands playing but i hadn't ever heard of any of them. my question was "am i getting old and falling out of touch?". she laughed and then ran thru the list mentioning one or more of the musicians by name in each. i recognized nearly all of them and felt accomplished but my question still stood.
    i live in such a huge state i can just go to a different city or town and it still be relatively local. so if it's dead here i'll just go there for a show.
    i kick myself for missing the testors [1975] last weekend. they aren't a local band but still a must see in my opinion.
    i bought a LP last night of the blind ignorants [1986]. that LP and a sixer of some good local brew made for a great night. the only downside is my date passed out drunk. so much for the date. good music and brew though!

2. ralph nadir

ralph nadir Member Forum Member

Mar 19, 2014

portland is definitely in extremes. the scene wrt music and shows is flourishing and thriving, due to the help of multiple generations of punx. there are many different genres and styles, with very little drama between different cliques. there is a small, but growing queer punk scene in the city. in terms of political organzing and anarchist projects, portland is a mire. what was once a strong community has fractured and fallen to pieces,mainly due to the actions of a key key shitty people. on top of this, many long-time running social spaces are in dire straights, which only makes things worse.

3. NoGodsNoMasters38

NoGodsNoMasters38 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 17, 2013

They sure love their Darkthrone…

4. VeganShteve

VeganShteve Experienced Member Experienced member

Aug 15, 2012

Waterford, Ireland is doing well. The scene is growing!! Goes to show that if you throw a little proactive effort out there, things will take on a life of their own. DOLE CITY PUNX!!!

5. JohnnyBondage

JohnnyBondage Member New Member

Aug 9, 2014

I'm from a small town called newmarket, North of Toronto. Newmarket never really had a scene... we have a handful of maybe like 10 punkers, and only 2 or 3 of them are Anarchists. I think all of york region (area surrounding toronto) maybe has like 30 or 40 punks. Toronto's scene is still decent, but not great. However, I recently moved to Kingston, Ontario, and the scene here is thriving. They have an organization called KPP, Kingston Punk Productions, that puts on awesome shows with bills full of local bands. The city is littered with Anarcho Punks and Gutter Punks, and my cousins been introducing me to some awesome people. The scene here is absolutely beautiful, although apparently not as strong as it used to be.

6. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

I'm in the same boat you were, Johnny. There's maybe 5 punks in my town, if you include the Buda to our Pest and the outlying township. At least the scene's not dead. That implies that it had lived at some point.

7. JohnnyBondage

JohnnyBondage Member New Member

Aug 9, 2014

That's true, there might not be many but at least there are still punks! Up the PUnx!

8. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Amen to that.

9. taufan99

taufan99 Member New Member

Sep 2, 2014

Hmm... can't tell much about my scene in Malang, East Java. Just like UK, the music stuff is pretty mixed up there. We get a lot of bands or acts with various music genres (though mostly we get a load of ska and beatdown hardcore bands). But I manage to find a few bands that are either punk or closely punk-related. This is one of them. http://www.reverbnation.com/thestruggle ... lanetnamex (Crust band influenced by Discharge and Disclose)

10. DeadChannel

DeadChannel Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 16, 2014

I live in the asscrack of nowhere, where no one even really knows what punk is.
    At some point, I plan to move to the northwest, I think the scene there is pretty good right now. Vancouver or Seattle or Portland or something

11. punkAnonAnarcho

punkAnonAnarcho Member New Member

Nov 24, 2015

NJ is not to far from Pittsburgh. Scene is great there. I love in central PA about 3h from philly scene is good there too. So if you are still in NJ area try philly man. Or come out to Pitts sometimes. Skullfest every year around August huge lineup. Cheers

12. barkthrone

barkthrone Member New Member

Jan 24, 2013

theres a huge ska and folk-ish scene on my rez. i dont care about either music styles but ill go once in a while to show support for a homies band. the crust contingent here have no concerns other than finding a beer runner or talking shit about the hipsters who plague the shows in border towns, mad irrelevant! the border town scene usually have one or two really cool people around and the rest of the show attendees debate about who got more short changed by life. the gnarly spirits who used to be on top of shit are way jaded now and are awful to be around so fuck them. the scene is what it is but theres tons of work to do and those who want to bring potent shit to the table will always be cooler, or at least more interesting, than the drunk dumbass with the most patches on or fuckers who 'listen' to obscure shit.

13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 17, 2016

There used to be a really great local punk scene out here (Central Coast California) a decade or so ago. If there still is, I don't know about it. The cops and the city have made a major push to drive live music and house parties out of the area, and of the maybe two friends I have that still live around here neither of them are punks (one's studying to be a lawyer and interning at the local D.A.'s office, lol.) so I don't really have an "in" to the scene, if there is one.

Last place I knew of that was really punk-friendly was The Dwelling, and that closed down ages ago. Between that and the push to drive the homeless out of the county, all the punk kids who used to hang around are pretty much gone.

Then again, I used to think there wasn't a BDSM/Kink scene around here either, and I've recently learned otherwise--so maybe there are other subcultures that have been successfully flying underneath the radar and I've just missed them in my angry hermitude.