Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

anti flag good or bad?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by corpratedeath, Dec 24, 2009.

1. corpratedeath

corpratedeath Member Forum Member

Dec 22, 2009

about the super political punk band

2. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

they suck ass, nothing but but sell out greedy fucks , cant stand listeniing to them

3. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

Ehh theyre all right the 2 albums they kinda sold out though.

Makes it kinda hard to believe you're anti capitalist after signing to a major label i suppose

4. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I used to love them (they and a slew of other bands helped "get me into" anarchism) but as of now I could care less for them.

5. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

No problems with the message, but the music is so bad it's almost a self-parody. "Drink Drank Punk" is the most retarded song name/song I've heard to date.

6. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Anti-flag reminds me of the US bombs... which is not a good thing...

7. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I used to like them.... Now they just suck. I hate their new stuff, it's almost emo.

8. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

When a band that is supposedly anti-capitalist signs to a major it totally puts me off their music. I haven't listened to Anti-Flag since, and when I think back their only really solid release for me was Underground Network. The rest are just gimmicky political-punk with not much to say.

Plus Justin Sane has an irritating voice.

9. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

*cough* chumbawumba *cough*

10. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

in my opion ther no better then your plastic punks the exploited ,the casualtys
    but just like bad religion there message is good except BR actually has sum good music(how cloud hell be any worse good album) and at the same time there both found at hot topic along with the addicts and the misfits

11. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

Ok, so there are some exceptions. I love Chumbawamba, they are genuinely intelligient people and have more than made up for signing to a major. They even turned down $1.5 million from Nike for song rights. Besides, their lyrics have actual substance, Anti-Flag's are generally just "FUCK WAR/FUCK BUSH" minimalist garbage.

Plus, Justin Sane has an irritating voice.

12. Arjay691

Arjay691 Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 11, 2009

I like anti-flag a lot.
    They DID sign to a major label for "The Bright Lights of America" and "For Blood and Empire" but, they have their own label A-F Records, that they've gone back to after their contract with Sony or whatever was up, so I feel that they've redeemed themselves, and, honestly, "The People Or The Gun" isn't half bad. Sure, there are some slow songs that have an emo-as-fuck sound, but they still have a good message. So, I can proudly say I am a fan of Anti-Flag. But at the same time, I respect all of your opinions on them as you are entitled to it.

13. SenI

SenI Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 4, 2009
     Russian Federation
    I am like Anti-Flag too. I listened to them long ago and this band is very influenced my life in terms of class struggle and anti-fascism. Early albums masterpieces, but now, after the album "The Bright Lights of America", one might even say "For Blood and Empire" they were really what it is Shumbawumba.

14. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Overproduced trash.

Lacks the D beat and the music is too clean.

15. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

absolutely hate em. If they have their own record label, then signing over to a major is retarded and stupid and i dont care how they jusitfy it, they lose a lot of credit in my book. Theres only like 2 or 3 songs i liked by em, but other than that, they suck.

Oh yeah... they are coming through here in a month or two on a tour titled "the economy sucks, lets party!". Yet the tickets are fucking 30 dollars. Even if they dont control the price, they shouldnt fuckin play the show then.

16. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

The last two albums were pretty anemic but they're a really great band. One of the more impressive modern political punk bands. They've made an impressive effort to raise awareness about political issues, from the WTO, to the wars in the middle east, to the School of the Americas. As mentioned their major label contract is history, although I think that the retards who like to play "punk police" put way too much emphasis on that. I don't like the new style as much, but "Terror State" and "Blood and Empire" are both very solid albums. Although I don't think they'll ever have been or ever will be as good as "Die For the Government", their finest hour and a must-have album. Overall, I give Anti-Flag a B+. Can't wait to see 'em live, again.

17. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Look I see a bit of a repetition going on here, anti flag have broken no new ground with the themes you mention...WTO?. SCHOOL OF THE AMERICAS?..WAR IN THE MIDDLE EAST? I've heard all these before and a long time ago....I guess I'm one of the "retards who like to play punk police" just because you like them ngnm85 doesn't give these guys legitimacy...not by a long shot. You can't defend every band that are on the fence......some just fall by the wayside

18. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

I have no idea what you're blathering about. "Wayside"? "On the fence"? What are the rules, exactly? "Legitimacy"? ....You have no point. Yes, perhaps you may fit into that category.

19. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    What I mean is I've noticed you defend every single band out there that is being questioned by more than a few, I think so far No Fx, Green Day, The Casualties... although I wholeheartedly agree with your defense of the Clash not all of these bands have "legitimacy in Punk Rock' . As far as blathering why don't you go fuck yourself Mr defense attorney?

20. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

NOFX, definitely. As for Green Day i only defend they're earlier work because that's all that's defenSIBLE. "American Idiot" was a crap album, especially after waiting so long after "Warning." I only have one song of the latest release which is even worse. The Casualties are indefensible. They are like the Exploited, it's essentially crap. I've MET Jorje, once or twice and he seemed like an alright guy, I've been to a ton of their shows, but they're a crap band.

I don't care what music people do or don't like, theres' lots of people out there with no taste, I could care less. However, what bothers me is when people criticize bands for stupid reasons. I don't care if anybody LIKES the Clash, but they were definitely NOT sellouts, and they are unquestionably punk. Same with the Pistols, I don't give a damn if anybody else likes them, but they don't have to repeat bogus fairy tales about McLaren manufacturing the band. You don't have to do a lot of research to know that's bullshit.

Another pet peeve is this retarded tendency in punk rock, it goes WAYYY beyond anti-corporate. Theres' this pathological, paranoid, kneejerk tendency, that the MINUTE a band gets enough recognition where they can play actual venues instead of basements, half their audience turns on them IMMEDIATELY. It's SO fucking stupid. I really feel bad for a lot of the bands, especially the ones who are just breaking out, because they have it the hardest. The word "sellout" gets thrown around so liberally it loses all meaning. It's like right wingers calling every attempt at progressive legislation "communism." It's ridiculous.

Anti-Flag are one of the most visible and active political punk bands out there, and I hink that's a good thing. Unfortunately it lookls like they'll never surpass their first album, being a good band, when they could be a great band, but what the fuck. I just want people to think for two seconds about the bullshit that comes out of their mouths,...or keyboards, for that matter. That's across the board, not just in terms of music.