Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Minor Threat vs.Discharge

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ralph nadir, May 14, 2014.

1. ralph nadir

ralph nadir Member Forum Member

Mar 19, 2014

i know this thread title probably looks like flamebait/trollbait, im hoping it attracts views, haha

of the two, which do y'all think has had more influence on contemporary punk? not only just in terms of musically, but lyrically, aesthetically, the way the bands functioned within a larger community, ethics, etc. not necessarily which one is better (apples to oranges, imo), but which of the two has had the most lasting impact on punk and hardcore.

2. NoGodsNoMasters38

NoGodsNoMasters38 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 17, 2013

Discharge

3. Havran

Havran Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 22, 2012
     Czech Republic
    I would also say Discharge, even if I don't like them and I don't know any of their songs :D

4. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    LOL

5. Mimsy89

Mimsy89 New Member New Member

May 17, 2014

Definitely Discharge

For d-beat and the abundance of Dis-bands alone shows the impact they've made.

Plus they're still going strong (a version of them at least) showing people how it's done

6. deadzenmen

deadzenmen Member New Member

Jun 25, 2014

I don't know, it's a toss up. Clearly Discharge is more musically influential from inspiring D-Beat and Crust to virtually every metal band that mattered. But Minor Threat was one of the very first DIY type bands at least in the sense of breaking down the space between musician and fan, the realization that you didn't need much money to get albums out, setting up your own label, releasing other bands through it, etc... Maybe Minor Threat was more important on the small level, Discharge on the larger one - politically, their sound, and their overall influence over time. If I were trying to explain my worldview and could only bring one of these bands' albums in to highlight my point, Discharge for sure. Yet Minor Threat had an impressive community impact that can't be denied.

Didz likes this.
  7. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    I think both bands play on an even level field. I like both bands equally, although I'm NOT "Straight-Edge".

8. Didz

Didz Member New Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Male
    England, United Kingdom  United Kingdom
    Discharge

9. FolkDevil

FolkDevil Member New Member

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Massachusetts, United States  United States
    From my perspective, it's definitely Minor Threat, but I'm more into the straight edge hardcore scene than the crust scene, so on a site called anarcho-punk it makes sense that I'm in the minority. To me, this is like asking which film is more influential, Halloween or Animal House- they're two completely different genres, and depending on who you talk to, one is a classic that set the tone for everything which came after, and the other is entertaining but nothing special.

10. 1xAntifa

1xAntifa Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 22, 2019
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    Minor Threat or Discharge? Why choose, I've happily listened to both. I don't care for subdivisions, crust or straight edge, really.I prefer solidarity within the scene rather than pointless splintering. Both bands had their merits. Hear Nothing, Say Nothing was a classic lp and the collected work of Minor Threat that was released in the 90's was also great. Both were influential in their own way. I was really into Fugazi at the time as well. I really appreciated Dischord making sure the cost of their CD's was reasonable as well. In the beginning their CD's cost $35 Aus, they managed to get it down to $20. I kinda lost touch in the noughties, so I don't know what Ian Mackay has been up to since Fugazi. I should check out Wikipedia and find out.

FolkDevil likes this.
  11. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Neither!
    Find new music, ya fokin' slackers!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  12. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    Last time I checked, Dischord Records basically keeps a large majority of their catalog in print for re-issue (Especially the Minor Threat collection), and a few years back Ian McKay became a father, and is not interested in doing anything musical.

13. The Hat

May 29, 2019
    You tell 'em!:thumbsup: