Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Honey Bane - You Can Be You 7" - 1979 (England)

Discussion in 'Anarcho-Punk music albums downloads' started by Anxiety69, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States

RECORD INFORMATION

You Can Be You
    Release Date : 1979

Recorded at Southern Studios 27/10/79. Designed at Existencil Press. The last digit of the Catalogue number is an I, but it's meant as a 1 (look at the London postcode at the bottom, which would otherwise be written W11 (WII doesn't exist)
    LISTEN ON YOUTUBE FIND VIDEOS MORE DOWNLOADS

Honey Bane Biography

Honey Bane (born Donna Tracy Boylan 4 November 1963, London) is the stage name of the British singer and actress who is possibly best recalled for her 1981 UK Top 30 single “Turn Me On Turn Me Off”.

Honey Bane began her musical career at the age of 14 in 1978 when she formed the punk rock band the Fatal Microbes. The band released a split 12” record with anarcho-punk band Poison Girls the same year. The first single, “Violence Grows” garnered some press attention and was given positive reviews by the British music paper Sounds.

After the 1979 breakup of the Fatal Microbes, and a stint in a juvenile detention facility that garnered more press attention, Honey Bane began a collaboration with the Essex-based anarcho-punk activist band Crass while she was on the run from the Social Services after serving a sentence at the St. Charles Youth Treatment Centre in Essex. Lending lead vocals and backed by the band under the name Donna and The Kebabs, Crass released the EP “You Can be You” in 1980. That same year, Honey Bane sang vocals for the post-punk band Killing Joke on a song entitled “What’s the Matter” during a February 1980 gig at London’s Venue club. The recording was later released as an inclusion on an album entitled “Killing Joke - Live At The Venue LP”.

In 1980, she met Sham 69 vocalist Jimmy Pursey who began to manage her musical career. That year she was signed to EMI/Zonophone records for a five year contract.
    ---

Honey Bane (born Donna Tracy Boylan in 1964, London) is the stage name of the British singer and actress who is possibly best recalled for her 1981 UK Top 30 single "Turn Me On Turn Me Off".

Honey Bane began her musical career at the age of 14 in 1978 when she formed the punk rock band the Fatal Microbes. The band released a split 12" record with anarcho-punk band Poison Girls the same year. The first single, "Violence Grows" garnered some press attention and was given positive reviews by the British music paper Sounds.

After the 1979 breakup of the Fatal Microbes, and a stint in a juvenile detention facility that garnered more press attention, Honey Bane began a collaboration with the Essex-based anarcho-punk activist band Crass while she was on the run from the Social Services after serving a sentence at the St. Charles Youth Treatment Centre in Essex. Lending lead vocals and backed by the band under the name Donna and the Kebabs, Crass released the EP "You Can be You" in 1980. That same year, Honey Bane sang vocals for the post-punk band Killing Joke on a song entitled "What's the Matter" during a February 1980 gig at London's Venue club. The recording was later released as an inclusion on an album entitled "Killing Joke - Live At The Venue LP".

In 1980, she met Sham 69 vocalist Jimmy Pursey who began to manage her musical career. That year she was signed to EMI/Zonophone records for a five year contract. In 1981 the single "Turn Me On Turn Me Off" was released and climbed the British pop charts to Number 30 and Honey Bane subsequently appeared performing the single on Top of the Pops. "Turn Me On Turn Me Off" marked a musical departure of Honey Bane from the overtly punk rock material of her earlier releases to a decidedly more new wave sound.

Although she released several more singles, none charted well and her musical career floundered. In 1982 she appeared in a play opposite Richard Jobson of The Skids at London's Arts Theatre. In 1983 she gained a prominent role in the Mai Zetterling directed British film Scrubbers. Honey Bane played the role of "Holly" and the film centered on the lives of young women incarcerated in a British girls' borstal. The film also featured actors Amanda York, Kathy Burke, Pam St. Clement, Robbie Coltrane and Miriam Margolyes.

Honey Bane spent the remainder of the 1980s as a pin-up model for erotic magazines. During the 1990s, she fronted the band Dog's Tooth Violet. In 2006 she released a two track 7" single entitled "Down Thing/Got Me All Wrong".

She currently resides in London, United Kingdom and is a mother and grandmother.

Read More...
    Disclaimer: this biography was gathered automatically through an external music database and could be inaccurate. We don't control the information found here.

Label - Crass Records

UK anarcho-punk label since the late 1970s.
    The catalog number pattern revolves around the year 1984, for example 321984/3 is the 3rd label release from 1981 (321984 = 3 to 1984).
  2. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave Member New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Male
    Victoria, Australia  Australia
    Ta very much :)