Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

How to copy Vinyl Records!

Discussion in 'D.I.Y. - Creative section' started by punkmar77, Oct 25, 2010.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Web: Copy vinyl

A good friend of mine, sent this great tutorial on how to copy vinyl, for me this is amazing!

stolen from Http://www.djlogic.es/ copy and distribute:

As commented in a previous post, here's a tutorial on how to make copies of our records, we all know how difficult it is now to obtain certain discs, so this can be a great solution for making copies of records that we most love and thus helps not to degrade the original (wear, scratches). I will not translate the whole article, because as you can see the process is very simple and visual, it's just:

Web: Copiar un Vinilo

Un gran amigo mio, me paso este genial tutorial de como copiar un Vinilo, si como leen, piratear un disco de vinilo. Para mi es increible esto!

Robado de http://www.djlogic.es/ copio y difundo:

Tal y como comentaba en un post anterior, aquí está el tutorial sobre como hacer copias de nuestros vinilos, todos sabemos lo difícil que es encontrar hoy en día determinados discos, así que esta puede ser una gran solución para hacer copias de los vinilos que mas pinchemos y así no degradar los originales (desgaste, rayas). No voy a traducir el artículo completo, pues como podéis ver el proceso es muy sencillo y visual, tan solo se trata de :

1. Hacer una caja sobre una superficie lisa (un cristal es lo ideal).
    Make a box on a smooth surface (glass is ideal).
    [​IMG]

2. Depositar en el centro el vinilo que deseemos copiar.
    Place in the center the vinyl we want to copy.
    [​IMG]

3. Mezclamos y añadimos la silicona líquida que nos servirá de molde.
    Mix and add the liquid silicone which will be the mold.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Una vez seca la retiramos con cuidado, le damos la vuelta y la utilizamos como base.
    Once dry, remove it carefully, we'll turn it around and use it as base.
    [​IMG]

6.Añadimos el plástico líquido, que será el vinilo propiamente dicho.
    Add the liquid plastic, which is the vinyl itself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Esperamos a que se seque y en unos instantes tenemos un duplicado de nuestro disco.
    Wait for it to dry and in a moment we have a duplicate of the disc.
    [​IMG]

With regard to materials, they are very easy to find at Amazon or in any DIY shop.
    Respecto a los materiales, son fáciles de encontrar en la tienda de Amazon o en cualquier tienda especializada en bricolaje.

Original: http://www.djlogic.es/?s=copiar+vinilo&x=0&y=0

thanks to anarcopunknoticias.blogspot.com

2. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

holy shit...that's amazing. thanks for the post! time to distro some free vinyl

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    let me know after you've tried it if it actually works, and or how well it works.

4. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Works great, had to make two sides for 1 album though but it was cheap enough...didn't damage the original album at all which I was a little nervous about and it plays like the original..... :thumbsup: Oh and I spent about 10 bucks for the materials at Michael's and used a fraction...

5. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

This is fucking amazing, when you said you made two sides are you referring to a separate duplicate for side A and side B?

6. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Yeah I'm trying to figure out a way to try and combine the sides but no luck so far...

7. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

i wonder, would this work well for flexi's?

i have a born against/suckerpunch 7" flexi that i would love to copy and hand out. "We Won" is truly an amazing spoken word by born against, and really I've never seen it anywhere (on the internet or otherwise) off topic, i know

8. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    It wouldn't hurt to try it...

9. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

true that...next step will be getting 10 bucks and going to the nearest michael's

10. Veganarchy

Veganarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 10, 2009

First of all, this is really an amazing and simple technique, so thanx a lot for posting it:)

When I was a kid, me and some friends made copies of Warhammer miniatures (oh, yeah, I was a geek;p), using pretty much the same method as this. The front and back of theese miniatures were constructed in one layer, so no parts covered each other. First we made a copy of the front part (or the back, doesn't matter), by pressing the back part into some play-doug in a frame, so half of the miniature was "burried". Then we covered the front part in some foam-rubber (can't remember the name. Then, when the rubber was dry, we flipped the frame around, removed the play-doug, applied a thin layer of wax or oil (or maybe some powder, again, can't remember) to the part of the rubber-surface that was before covering the play-doug. The Miniature was still inside, half covered by rubber. Then we covered the backpart of the miniature with rubber as well. After that layer was dry, we were able to seperate the two parts of the foam, and remove the miniature. Then we made a small "channel" in each parts of the foam, from the side that was going to be the buttom of the miniature, so when we put back together the two parts, it would form a tunnel leading form the buttom of the foam, and into the core. And then we just strapped the two parts tight together, and filled it up with melted tin, like it was a bottle. When it was dry then, we opened the foam, and removed the extra part of tin in the buttom of the figure, that was created as a result of the tunnel...

...And the we had a badass Chaos warrior army :rock: :ecouteurs:

I thin you can juse some inspiration from this method, but both the play-doug and the tunnel is useless, because it will hurt the record, and if you pour liquid vinyl in the foam from the sides, instead of from the top (the surface of the record), then maybe it will not soak completly into the "holes", because of vacuum-effect the air in the foam makes, combined with the density of the vinyl.

So instead I think it is a good idea to make a buttom in the frame. First you just make a normal, and airtight buttom, and then you glue an extra layer on top of it. This layer should contain a hole that is just as broad as a record, but only half as tall. Then, in theory, you can place the record in the hole, cover the thing with rubber (or whatever you use to make the foam) and just follow your guide. Then you repeat the process with the other side, so you end up with two sides of a record, that are half as thin as a normal record. Then, again in theory, you should be able to glue the two sides together, by using either a thin layer of glue, that doesn't destroy the vinyl, or using a thin layer of liquid vinyl. Or maybe covering the bastard with baking-paper, and then quickly ironing the surface to make it melt again. I think you can also make two frames, one for each side, and then combine them, so they are able to close in tight together, like a toaster, so the two sides fits each other completely.

This is only some ideas, but as soon as I gets the time and money for it, I will try it out. But if anybody tries it before me, please let me know if it works. :ecouteurs:

One more thing: I think it is really important the thickness of the record is pretty close to the original, because otherwise the angel on the position of the pick-up when the record plays would be too small, and then in time ruin the record and worst case, the pick-up.

Now we just need at way to make a machine that can cut the original record...any suggestions?